SCADA and PLC Integration

QasimFSH

Hi everyone,

I have some very basic questions, but as a fresh grad without any supervisor, I can only ask you guys.

I have downloaded ClearSCADA, and got TM221CE16R plc. In order to connect them together, I can use any Ethernet or serial protocol, right? no need of any other hardware module?

Also, can ClearSCADA connect with PLCs other than of Schneider Electric? Or in general, can SCADA connect with any PLC, or it needs to be of the same vendor?

Which SCADA softwares are the best, or most commonly used in Industry?

Many thanks.

I'm not an expert in SCADA systems but you should be able to connect to any PLC that supports serial or Ethernet communication.
Most Scada systems have built-in drivers for the standard industrial communications protocols.

Since your PLC has an Ethernet port you could use Modbus TCP as an easy solution.

Here is the list of drivers built-in into ClearScada:

Included with the ClearSCADA Server: DNP3, SCADAPack Modbus, OPC DA client driver for connection to 3rd party OPC Servers, Modbus RTU, AB-DF1, Kingfisher, IEC 60870-5-101 Master/Slave, IEC60870-5-104 Master/Slave, DDE, ICMP, ODBC, NTP, SNMP, Trio Radio Diagnostics (CS10 only), Lufkin POC
Included for an addional fee: Realflo EFM, Siemens S7 PLC

https://www.proface.com/support/index?page=content&country=IN&lang=en&locale=en_US&id=FA173014&prd=

What are you trying to do?

Thanks Kallileo,

Atm, I just trying to learn the integration of SCADA and PLCs to use in my future projects. Got any idea how can I simulate a PLC without the physical hardware? What I mean is connecting the PLC and ClearSCADA, without any physical hardware for testing?

Thanks

Can anybody tell me what is the difference in a normal plc and a scada pack? If my PLC can communicate with SCADA, will it not be considere as a SCADApack by definition too?

SCADAPack is a brand name for a type of RTU (remote telemetry unit). Just like "Samsung" is a brand name for a phone.

ClearSCADA was primarily designed as a SCADA system for remote assets in the water, power and oil and gas markets, and has features suited to communicating with devices over slow, intermittent or bandwidth limited links like Radio or cellular. The SCADAPack is one of those devices.

From memory, in clearSCADA you'd have the option of choosing a communications protocol for your SCADAPack of either DNP3 or Modbus.

You probably also have an option of selecting a generic modbus device somewhere, which will work with the simulators that Kallileo mentioned

Correct me if I am wrong, but ScadaPack isn’t necessary to set up clearScada with a plc, right? Its only needed in some conditions, like long distance etc? Thanks a ton for the explanation you’ve already done.