Crimson 2 - RedLion G3 - Image Primitave

I think the folder paths are tripping you up. You have to be careful about including quotes in the correct places whenever there are space characters in the file path. Try it this way:

1. Go to the root level of your hard drive, i.e. double-click on Local Disk (C).
2. Make a new folder there, call it something short like "pics".
3. Put your image files in this folder.
4. Go to the folder shown in your screenshot where the makepic utility is located. Copy it to your new folder. (Right-click, copy, right-click in new folder, paste)
5. Open a command prompt as adminstrator.
6. Type "cd C:\pics" (without quotes). This should put you in the right directory.
7. Type "makepic image.bmp 1" replacing the image file name as appropriate.

This procedure works on my Win 7 system.

Success! .. sorta

Hi John
Wow.. You really do know how to make a solid tutorial ..thanks

Yes, It does work :) However, turns out you can't have .bmp in the picture name (only on the command line)

There are also size limits ... when I tried to convert the picture of the wave ..it created the .g3p file, but also stated the picture was too wide.

also..watch out for "quotes" .. I thought the qoutes ought to be in there, because of the spaces (your line 7) But nope, the spaces must be there... no quotes.

next to figure out the switches ..what's with the { } and < > ? I guess it really helps to learn command line care and feeding... Duh!

Thanks again.. I still don't quite know how to add a picture in the body of these posts (tho I have done it .. somehow) so here's either a picture or link to a picture:

One thing I'd recommend is to go into Folder Options in Windows and turn OFF the "Hide extensions for known file types" option. This is one of the worst "features" that Microsoft has ever added. In their silly attempt to shield users from the inner workings of the system, they created considerable confusion for everyone when trying to identify files. In your case I think you might have ended up with some files with names like "image.bmp.bmp" because you added the bmp on the end not knowing that it was already there but just not visible.

Regarding quotes in the command line, my understanding is that they are only necessary when you are referencing a file path that contains spaces. Otherwise, the space denotes a separation of arguments. So for example, the line
Code:
makepic image.bmp 1
requires three separate pieces of text to do its thing, and the spaces create the separation to identify them.

But in this case:
Code:
makepic C:\some folder\image.bmp 1
the parser will be confused because it looks like there are actually four arguments due to the space in the folder name.

This would be written properly as
Code:
makepic "C:\some folder\image.bmp" 1
Some command line utilities will explain their function if you type the name without any arguments. So just typing makepic will show you:
Code:
Bitmap File Converter  Version 1.10
(c) 1996-2007 Red Lion Controls Inc

usage: makepic {switches} <input-file> <picture>

Supported switches are...

-nocomp     Do not compress bitmap
    -wide       Use 16-bit color values
    -opaque     Do not support transparency

Input files should be Windows bitmaps. Picture
number should be an integer between 0 and 999.
The <> and {} are just denoting the arguments; you don't actually type these. Switches can be added to modify the function of the command, such as
Code:
makepic image.bmp 1 -wide

filetypes.png

It's always in the details...

John

Very clear, and very helpful.

I suspect you work with Red Lion HMIs. I've read there is no way to re-size the image when it's added to a page, and makepic knows the max size possible. It will create a .g3p file, if you try to make something too large, it will also tell you ..but, that file has no content.

This all is a bit easier if one is using Crimson 3.0. There actually is a CF legacy Primitive, which can be placed on a page, and formatted to call a specific picture from the CF.

However..I still have no idea how to do that in Crimson 2.0.
here's a photo from the manual:

I've indicated a sentence that has no meaning to me ... That "CompactFlash Image Properties" window has to be launched somehow.. :)

You generally launch properties windows by double clickingon objects or primitives already on a page .. this is different?

C2_Manual.bmp

Amazing... Ya know, that menu is almost never there... I'm always working on something which changes, or eliminates that menu. Sorry, and thanks again sigh!

I'm not a Automation Engineer, More of a crazy hobbyist that has one complex project "Micro Oceans" it's on YouTube & there's a web site of sorts: MicroOceans.com I owe all of my success (if there is any) to ebay, and the Forums. It's been a long ride..

Last edited:
Loading the picture to the Page

Hear's another thing. I have a picture sized 150 x 130 named: Small6 The CF primitive on the HMI page is sized 155 x 135

makepic created a file: pic006.g3p which I moved into a folder on the CF named PICS as per instructions from the C2 manual.

In the CF Image Properties window: Image selection would be: 6

Show image has a grey "TRUE" ... I can't do anything with that.
same for Show Item.

Fill is solid grey, assume there would be a little grey border aroung the image? No Line selected

OK brings up nothing. no image in the frame .. sigh!

This is not going to be easy... is it?

It sounds like it's configured correctly, are you saying you're getting a grey box in the Crimson 2 configuration or when actually running on the G3, or both?

I'm an Idiot! I get the grey box in the C2 Configuration... and just now tested it to see if it would work in the HMI... OMG ..It does :)

Nevermind... there is nothing to see here ...

You are a fine person ... don't ever change!