How to setup S7-300 I-Device config

Yes, I tried to rename the I-Device when added (remove the "-1") but Step7 warns another device already has that name. And when I ignored that I got communication problems.

Maybe I'll try that again on the weekend.

Thanks,

Do the 2 CPUs have different names assigned to the PN ports ?
That STEP7 automatically added the "-1" means that it detected a conflict when you were setting them up.
What names do the ports have ?
You must assign something unique, dont use the default name "PN-IO".

edit:
Assign a name for the PN port on CPU 1 (for ex "cpu1").
Assign a name for the PN port on CPU 2 (for ex "cpu2").
If you setup CPU 2 as the i-device, and import CPU 2 as a device for CPU 1, then you must again assign the name "cpu2" for the i-device, as described in the FAQ.

Last edited:
They have different names. Step7 automatically gives them different names when you add them.
Is there in your project some other device which could have the same name ?
STEP7 detected a conflict and added "-1". You removed the "-1" and now you get errors.

Post a screenshot from NetPro.
Be sure to have the "View" ... "With DP slaves / IO devices" selected.

Here is the netapp view (cropped to just CPUs)

pdtqnSP

rt-main would be the IO controller and pn-rt-m1 and pn-rt-m2 are the slave (I-Device) CPUs.

The I-devices will appear twice in the same NetPro view - as IO Devices and as CPUs.
Attached you have a picture how it will look like. Notice that the SWDPLC appears twice.

So to see if that is correct, and there are no conflicts I need to see all devices.

STEP7Classic_I-device.png

Yes, I did that already. But like I said before, the slave PLC started acting strange after loading their HW config and I had to undo that.

I will try again on the weekend. Maybe they just needed another reboot.

Well, I've tried to reload the config this weekend. The same thing happened as before. I changed the device names by removing the "-1" from the added device to match the real device and Step7 warns the device already exists. I ignore that and load the configs. The slave devices stop communicating to the HMIs but this time I have more time to investigate. The slave PLC (I-Device) for what ever reason switched to STOP mode. So I switch it to stop then run and then the master PLC switches to STOP. And this happens a few times till I finally get the master PLC and slave PLCs (there are two actually) to stay running. All BusFaults are clear. But when I try to set I/O bits between the PLCs nothing happens.

I tried to create seperate projects but that doesn't work either. The PLC slave devices in the hardware config on the master PLC go invalid and trying to save/compile just generates errors.

I think the only solution is to upgrade the project to TIA portal but I get massive errors when trying to migrate the project.

Thanks,

It shouldnt be necessary to migrate to TIA.
You added one nugget of info:
"I changed the device names by removing the "-1" from the added device to match the real device"
You have to setup all the devices DeviceNames so they match the configuration in STEP7. Not the other way around. Use "edit Ethernet node" to setup the actual device names.

And you must get NetPro to compile without errors.

Apart from that you arent providing any information to work with. I asked for a screenshot from NetPro of all the devices.

I've migrated a few STEP 7 V5.x and WinCC flexible 2008 projects to TIA Portal. I did have errors and warnings, but when I cleaned everything up, it was fine and the machine functioned exactly as before. For some reason, now I like using the S7-300 in TIA Portal. I guess it took some getting used to.

If I try to remove the "-1" in the master CPU device then STEP7 warns that another device already has that name.

I attached a picture of that dialog that comes up. You should click "yes". I just created the configuration in the same STEP 7 V5.x project in 5 minutes, as Jesper suggested.

Are your HMIs integrated in the STEP 7 project or separate? Are the 2 CPUs connected to 2 different Profibus networks physically? And are they connected to 2 separate networks in STEP 7?

Siemens_Duplicate_PN_Name.png

Last edited:
The slave PLC (I-Device) for what ever reason switched to STOP mode. So I switch it to stop then run and then the master PLC switches to STOP. And this happens a few times till I finally get the master PLC and slave PLCs (there are two actually) to stay running. All BusFaults are clear. But when I try to set I/O bits between the PLCs nothing happens.

Create and download (even if empty for now), OB82 and OB86 in both CPUs.

I've verify device names in PLC -> Ethernet -> Verify names... and everything checks out okay (everything has a green checkmark)
All BFs are cleared so it is configured correctly.
I will try to add those OB82 and OB86, that could be the reason for the unexplained STOPs.
We have Step7 V5.6 HF5

Thanks,

The STOP is not unexplained. If an IO-Controller loses communication to an IO-Slave without OB86 Rack Failure error handling block, the CPU will STOP. If a diagnostics-capable module has a problem without the OB82 diagnostic error-handling block, the CPU will STOP.