842E-M Encoders dropping out

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm currently designing a project involving about a dozen Ethernet/IP encoders to be connected to a Control Logix. No motion control stuff, just basic position feedback on a slow-moving shuttle conveyor. At this site, another integrator on a different project used six Allen-Bradley 842E-M encoders, but after a few months of operation, ended up wiring their power via a NC output relay to enable them to cycle power, because as they explain, they kept dropping off the network and needing a power cycle to reconnect. They recommended I don't use that type for my project for that reason. My thinking is that surely if that were an inherent problem with the encoder, AB wouldn't be selling as many of them as they do. Surely, it must be something specific to their application?

Who here has used these encoders? If you have, how many have you used and how often (if ever) have you seen this type of issue?

And in case I do have to go down the path of a different model, who can recommend a good Ethernet/IP encoder for connection to a Control Logix?

I used 3 of these on our forming lines in a few plants for many years. I never had a communication issue. The areas are well designed to mitigate noise and even used shielded Ethernet cables to the encoders.
Heavy wash downs daily with hot water and continuous use. Never a comm issue.
Also, I didn't have a managed switch in this application. Simply a conventional gigabit switch.

I eventually swapped them out for conventional 1024 PPR encoders and High Speed Counters, but not because of comm issues.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm fairly convinced there's a human at the root of their problem, not the encoders. Good to hear that others aren't experiencing the same!