EN 61439-1. "Pollution degree" how to clasify in real life ?

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi, I am trying to figure out what Pollution Degree our control panels must meet.
FYI, this is one of the informations that MUST be labelled in the control cabinets in the EU.

I find the standard very loosely defined (EN 61439-1, chapter 7.1.3).
Pollution degree 1:
No pollution or only dry, non-conductive pollution occurs. The pollution has no influence.

Pollution degree 2:
Only non-conductive pollution occurs except that occasionally a temporary conductivity caused by condensation is to be expected.

Pollution degree 3:
Conductive pollution occurs or dry, non-conductive pollution occurs which is expected to become conductive due to condensation.

Pollution degree 4:
Continous conductivity occurs due to conductive dust, rain or other wet conditions.
also it says:
Unless otherwise stated, ASSEMBLIES for industrial applications are generally for use in a pollution degree 3 environment.
The panels are to be installed in an airconditioned/heated control-room.
So I ough to specify pollution degree 3 (due to the last statement above), but I think I could go for pollution degree 2, as only light non-conductive dust is to be expected and no condensation. I think I could even go for pollution degree 1 since I figure that "the pollution has no influence", but I am unsure.

What do you guys do ?