Please help RS logix 500 Activation Key Problem

labingtone

Hi to all and have a good day.

I install my RS logix 500, RS Lite and finally tranfer the activation key from master diskete to drive C:. The software works.
My problem is when i move the activation key from drive C: to a diskete(not using the master disk) a problem occur and A message is display on the screen and I quote "disk unsuitable". You know what happen the activation key was lost. My question is how can I obtain activation key without buying another set of software? Can I reset the master disk(activation key)? How? Please advice I need the software very badly. We are shut down.

Many things,

Lovington Dela Cruz
[email protected]

I don't know about the latest version but it used to be set up so you could put the master disk in the A drive, WITHOUT THE ACTIVATION KEY ON IT, and the software would run.

Online Method

AB.com can reset the master disk for you, online, for free. You will need to register, and provide some information (like the license number that's printed on the master disk). I don't think you have to be under a support contract. (I've never had to use the service). It's possibly you can be back up within an hour from now.

I won't ask why

I don't know about the latest version but it used to be set up so you could put the master disk in the A drive, WITHOUT THE ACTIVATION KEY ON IT, and the software would run.
Hold down Shift-K while RSLogix is starting up to make this work.

Thanks to all of you who answered my question.
If the master disk is not functing anymore can i obtain a copy from the Rockwel. The one year warranty is over and I do not have support contract.

You don't have to buy the software all over again, you just need to pay the Reinstatement fee to get the support contract back in force.

Then RSI will do a website reset of your existing (but maybe damaged) Master Disk, or will send you a new one. It also qualifies you for updates of the programming software.

It should be a pretty easy sell to your management. If the time your machine has been down because you didn't have the right maintenance software (two days at least now, right?) is more than the software license, it's an easy decision.

The local office in Manila should be able to help you out if you can't wait to talk to the USA in the morning:

Rockwell Automation (Philippines) Inc
10th floor, Ayala Life-FGU Center Makati City
Philippines
Telephone: 63-2-893-9712
Fax: 63-2-810-4397

Last edited:
Actually, you shouldn't even have to buy the support to get the key. You bought the softwware--it's registered in your name--you own it--they shouldn't be able to keep you from using it in it's present revision just cause you lost the darned key.

If you want the latest revision, you should buy the support--but not simply to be able to use something you already own.

I purchase support for PLC5 and SLC500 because old revisions won't talk to the newest processors. On the other hand, I own, but do not subscribe to support for, PLC2 AI (still got some 2's) software--there's no advantage--and if I lose the key, they'll give me another because it's bought and paid for.

Go striaght to tech support--write them a nasty e-mail--threaten them with siemens, omron, or anybody else you can think of--the big kahuna with the starched shirt and the gold cufflinks will call you and you'll get your key.

But that's just my opinion--I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Do all these cans contain worms ? They do? Great !

Activation resets and new activation diskettes are part of the support provided to licensees of the software who have current support contracts. Online and CD media software revision updates are another support item, and telephone technical support is another.

None of those are provided to licensees who do not pay for their support contracts, as the original querent's managers have evidently chosen to do.

I've owned a few software packages that used hardware keys. If you lost one of *those*, you had to pay for the whole software license again. You can bet that managers took better care of those "dongles" than they do RSI keydisks.

So keep those AI-2 diskettes warm and dry, John.