Experience with PLC

jayshah11

Hi

Is there any way i can get proactical experience with PLC. I am undergoing Masters Program in Electrical Engineering at NJIT, New Jersey. I would like to have a hand on experience with PLC. I dont want to get paid. I just want experience working with PLC.

Jay

Hey Jay,

If you would like a small 'tutorial' on Allen Bradley's, there is a program available from thelearningpit.com. I believe it's free for 30 days, and then you can purchase the emulator. Slick little program.

As far as 'real world' experience, I would think that your school or one close by would offer some form of training with what you desire...

Hoot

Hi Jay,
Hoot is right about the program Prologix from the learning pit. It may not be 100%identical to Allen Bradley but you can't get more bang for the buck! My recommendation is purchase the $32 version. It will allow you to use different pc's, so if one pc dies, go to another on, plus if you ever upgraded your pc (exchange for a better one) you may have a small hurdle to jump over. I am a student and do some PLC work at work and it does everything a beginner and intermediate student/employee would want (my opinion). I would also get a hold of an Allen Bradley distributor and find out if they have any 2 day seminars. If you or anyone may want some sample problems (from my college class) I will be happy to send the scenerios to you if you write me at [email protected]
Good luck and keep reading these guys responses to other problems
Doc

Several Programs you can try

Dear all..
I am sorry Prof. Phil ..This is Not advertising
Try logixpro ..www.thelearningpit.com
CD.Version at www.koldwater.com
Also ..some from Singapore
http://www.programmable-controller.com/abouttri.htm
www.mrplc.com
www.plcman.co.uk
Try ..Automation Studio
www.automationstudio.com
There are a lot...
But all above ..you can try first
I post one picture about Logixpro..You can see ..
Without hardware(I mean plc ..You still need computer) you can learn

Anyway...a big Bank of PLC knowledge is Here WWW.PLCS.NET

platootod

silo simulation.jpg

I have to agree with everyone here on Phil's LogixPro CD for a PLC simulator and trainer. I purchased the internet version (download version) a couple years ago and loved it. I am the senior tech for a distribution center and one of my tasks is to find ways to improve the skill level of our maintenace personel.

I had our company purchase 4 copies of the LogixPro CD and I had purchased my own prior to this. I am training one person from each shift (we work 12 hour days on a 24/7 schedule) on Allen Bradley PLC5s and SLC500 systems. Each of these individuals have a copy of the CD and are assigned one of the simulations. They can work on these at home on their own PCs and bring the .rsl file into the shop on floppy disc. We sit down and go over the ladder logic they programmed and discuss other instructions that could be used and alternate methods for completing various tasks. We stress the value of good commenting both instruction and rung. I have them also do flow charts and spreadsheets of their programs to help them understand the concepts better.

I have found this to be a great learning tool and very safe compared to editing an actual live PLC program operating equipment in the plant.

These individuals are so much more prepared and sharper than I was when I first started working with PLCs. Of course I started with Modican when they were owned by Gould using a P-190 programming terminal. OOPs that might state an age factor.

You won't regret owning this PLC simulator even if you work with other brands of PLCs. I throw several bits of logic into it when I'm working on a problem to help solve an error in theory.

Thanx Dan

I pray I will never be to smart to learn somthing new today.

Well here I go:

No disrespect to anyone but what the hell is wrong with schools teaching the entire instruction set etc. of plcs? An engineer in my opinion should have this training BEFORE he can say or graduate as an electrical engineer.

Engineering class locks you in on how to think, I do not understand why they do not have a plc lab.

Jayshah11,
I hope you find what you need.

Thats my 2 cents

REAL Experience

Simullators are OK, and they help you learn programming, but they don't model the Real World unless you program them to model it.

An inexpensive PLC and some parts from Radio Shack would be even better, and not that much more money.

Since you are in Newark, you might look at an internship. There are a large number of large pharaceutical companys about an hour or so south of you, which use large amounts of PLC, and hire lots of engineers.

I would normally suggest a co-op program (if your college has such a program), but those are usually for undergraduates, not masters candidates.

But talk to your faculty advisors and see if they know of any program or opportunity for you.

Experience in the real World is the best

Experience in the real World is the best..
We use this simulator program to make a student get the concept about
PLC..After sometimes..He will learn with real pLC..(eventhough difference brand)..
I agreed with Mike William..
However in this case..if Jay want to learn at home ..he can not bring
PLC..from the lab..so..by some simulator program should be nice for him to study..

I have bought several program Simulation..for Robot..for plcs..
for Pneumatics ,Hydraulics..
Why?
Before ..student go to the real World application
They should learn something..prepare his chance to reduce their mistake..
For example..We have bought Robots(Manupulator)and quite expensive..
When we begin with the Real Robot..if the student make wrong program to control robot..What happen? sometimes we lost money for repair..or maintainance..Then I..let him design by his own program..and simulate
on the computer first after check..OK.. then tranfer the program to the controller of real Robot
What happen if wrong program when simulate on the computer..
Notthing..damage..or harm the student..(smile)
Also, with simulation program ..we can reduce the cost....
A big budget to buy 10 Robots for 20 students..
but 2 robot include Simulation Programs (in 20 computers) quite big dif. budget (good and cheaper)
I have chance to visit several countries....
One little country near Iraq..use a lot of Simulation program to teach..Not only this..His Student has done a lot project with
simulation program..I was serprise with ..some momentum simulator..
I was wondering when I see Robot playing Rubiq (I am not sure to spell this name )..and on the screen of the computer show the same thing..
I post some picture of Mechatronic's Lab in RIT.Nonthaburi Campus..
the Price of the Robots in this picture more than some modular car..
(Smile)

platootod
Mechatronic RIT.Non

:D

cim lab2.jpg

Internship in PLC

Hi

Thank you very much for your favourable reply. I would like to know if anyone can offer me an Co-op. I am allowed to do co-op in Summer. I can also start now to get hang of it.

Let me know soon.

Jay

Hey Jay,

I may not be able to help with 'specific' info, but have a bit of knowledge in co-ops, etc... and been in the maintenance field for about 14 years now...

First, see if your school and better yet, your EE department have any 'arrangements' with some local companies. Even though they may not list them or promote them, talk to the heads of the EE department and see if any of them have an inside line. Maybe a company is doing some retooling, moving to a new facility, etc... These people always talk to one another to find the youngest, brightest and most motivated people.

If that does not pan out, check with some head hunters. See if any companies are hiring with what you are looking for and tell them up front that this is only a co-op, or, short term/contract position for the summer. One title that I see quite a bit is 'controls engineer' for the type of position that you are wanting.

Don't rule out the internet for some good leads. Heck, type into google Milwaukee+plc jobs, there's about 57,000 hits. It's a bit daunting to weed through all the garbage, but it's given me quite a few leads.

Hopefully someone can be more specific, but these general guidelines may get ya rollin'.

Hoot

Mike,

When I went to college for EE (back in 19-mumble-mumble, on the GI-Bill), they didn't have any classes covering PLC's at all! And yet, that is where I learned PLC's!

I had already worked with PLC's prior to going to college, I thought I was pretty good with what the PLC Manuals provided... Boy, was I wrong! I didn't "LEARN" PLC's until I went to college.

PLC Manuals do NOTHING (can I say that again? THEY DO NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING) to teach someone "HOW TO DESIGN A PROGRAM"!!

I learned PLC's through programming in Basic, Fortran and "C". Just as importantly, I learned PLC's through classes in "Digital Design". Those classes showed how the actual digital hardware worked and how to make that hardware work - synchronously or asynchronously.

Learning how to program in those higher-level languages provided me with a solid sense of knowing that you are limited only by your imagination! Learning the hardware-design-view completed part of the loop. The rest of the loop was completed by having a "Sense of System". This was provided for me by, believe it or not, the military!

Now, here's the critical point regarding those guys that haven't really had to work for a living prior to their education...

My college education provided me with what I have because... I had worked for a living, then performed my military service, and then worked again for a living. I "KNEW" what I wanted to KNOW and what I needed to KNOW when I went to college! The sad truth is, those that don't "KNOW" what it is that they need to know, when the opportunity is presented, fail to focus on those things that will satisfy that unidentified need.

So... having said that... that DOES NOT mean that I have any idea at all of what I want to be when I grow-up! I'm still working on that one!

If can start at the begining ..that would be nice..

Attention to Prof. Terry Wood...story
(I have no money for my internet Professor as you are..But I am happy and very glad that can learn some knowledge from you)

If I could start from the begining....as you have done..
That would be fine to my student (also myself)..

Actually, we need an instructor like you..
Sometime, I could not answer my student question..
because of the way and chance to study ..difference..

Anyway, in this plc forum..atlease we are lucky ..that we have the people like you and Prof. Phil...
(Prof.Phil ,I bought your's book already...I need more picture..if you could update please..)

Thank you very much.

Platootod

:)

flower thanks.jpg

Platootod,

Thank you for your kind words.

(I have no money for my internet Professor as you are..But I am happy and very glad that can learn some knowledge from you)

I'm not in this for the money... at least, I'm not here on this site for money. I'm here because I just love to blow all of my free time talkin' PLC's and Programming!

If I could start from the begining....as you have done..
That would be fine to my student (also myself)..

That's one of those strange things in life... I did not plan to do it that way... it just happened that way.

Sometime, I could not answer my student question..

(Prof.Phil ,I bought your's book already...I need more picture..if you could update please..)

Peter is fond of saying...
In order to understand something, we need to ask the right questions. (or something to that effect.)

This implies, very strongly, that, in order to ask the right questions, we need to know what it is that we don't know!

So, Platootod...

Here's an assignment for you (if you are interested)...

Make a list of those things in Phil's book that you are having a hard time understanding.

Then, for each item in the list, describe what it is that you don't understand. (You might have to read the text a couple of times to answer this part of the assignment.)

Then, post your list. I think your list might be long at the start... but, I think it will be shorter in the end.

BTW There is an "s" on the end of my name, Terry Woods

Mike Williams said:
Well here I go:

No disrespect to anyone but what the hell is wrong with schools teaching the entire instruction set etc. of plcs? An engineer in my opinion should have this training BEFORE he can say or graduate as an electrical engineer.

Engineering class locks you in on how to think, I do not understand why they do not have a plc lab.

Jayshah11,
I hope you find what you need.

Thats my 2 cents

Mike it is easy to say that when you work with PLC's but think about all the other things that EE's do. There are just to many things to teach someone in an undergraduate program.

Out of the hundred or so people studying EE with me at school, only a handful of us knew what a PLC was and had worked with them and of those only a few of us liked doing it. Don't get me wrong a lot of the stuff I learned in school really helped when it came to working with PLC's. Number systems and some embedded programming and definately logic(AND, OR, NOT, etc). I first started getting an idea of what a PLC was pretty much at the same time I started college but I didn't really understand how it all worked and put all the pieces together until I was almost done with school. I think the biggest help was the logic, once you have that down your way ahead of the game and I think that is where a lot of the confusion from these students comes from, especially the ones that haven't been exposed to the logic.

Anyways I don't think it is realistic to expect schools to specifically teach PLC's to EE's when most of them will never work with one and there are so many other areas that EE's are involved in.

Glaverty,

You have a good point. It is just a shame we do not have more training centers that will not take your life savings to go and learn "real world code".

Terry,

Our field is starving for information and knowledge, any thought to writing a book or 2? I am pretty sure you would sell out quickly.