RSLogix on Apple Computers

jcr

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone here has run any of the RSLogix Software packages on the new Intel-based computers from Apple. I understand that Windows XP can now be loaded onto these machines and I'm curious about being able to do Logic Development on these computers.

Thanks for your input!

I haven't done this but it would be interesting to try. I have used Macs at home for many years but I have not purchased an Intel Mac. I may be wrong, but I suspect you will receive a deathly silence in response to your question on this forum.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this so I'm used to deathly silence on this topic. lol

I too have had Macs at home for many years. I need a new laptop to use in the field and I really want to buy one of the MacBook Pros. I sure would like to know if it works though before I spend the money.

Thanks again for the warning.

I understand that the when the new Apples run Windows XP, it isn't any differant than Windows running on other hardware. I would be very surprised if RSLogix didn't work on Apple Hardware.

That said, I know that the Macbooks don't have PC card slots or serial ports, so communications would be limited to ethernet or USB-serial adapters.

What I really wish Apple would do is implement a translation layer (Like Wine does for Linux) that would allow Windows applications to run under OS X. If they did that and did it well enough to run RSLogix, AutoCAD, and a few other programs, I would switch for sure.

Commercial

Perhaps we should ask the guy that does the funny PC vs. MAC commercials on TV. He seems to think everything runs better on a MAC and nothing ever crashes...That is evidence to me Rockwell Software has never been installed on a MAC. :ROFLMAO:

Greg

Greg Dake said:
Perhaps we should ask the guy that does the funny PC vs. MAC commercials on TV. He seems to think everything runs better on a MAC and nothing ever crashes...That is evidence to me Rockwell Software has never been installed on a MAC. :ROFLMAO:

Greg

Great idea. Maybe something like this:

PC - Now that you can run my software you better be prepared for lots of lock-ups and crashes.

Mac - But PC, I don't have to worry about that cause I rarely crash.

PC - Then you haven't tried to run any Rockwell Software.

Mac - What's Rockwell Software??

PC - Never mind

Follow-UP -- If anyone is interested

I received my new 17" MacBook Pro laptop last Thursday. I have installed Windows XP Pro on it using BootCamp. The installation went as expected per the directions included in the BootCamp documentation.

I have installed and ran Simatic Step 7 Lite, OATs 2.00.25 IEC 61131 Application, MachineMate Dry CNC, Garmin Applications and connection to my Garmin 276C via USB connection.

Everything I have installed so far has worked flawlessly. I have used the USB ports, Hard-wired Ethernet and Wireless Ethernet. I have not yet installed any RSLogix Packages and tested them but I am loking forward to doing so.

Rockwell Software works!

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to confirm that my Macbook Pro (Core 2 duo) works with ALL Rockwell software, including RSLinx, RSLogix 5/500/500, and any others. It even communicates perfectly with the 1747-UIC modules and PLC-5's! You can either use Boot Camp (my preference, with all native drivers) or the latest build of Parallels. I'm not sure if VMWare Fusion works or not. FactoryTalk activations work perfectly as well.
Runs amazingly fast, and very reliably!

Hope this helps guys.