RSLogix on Apple Computers

SCADA_Dude said:
You can run RSLogix on a Virtual Machine on OSX using VMware Fusion. It works great!

I run VMware for several applications, I also use DOSBOX, they are both very good

I did not have very much success with Virtual PC... it may have been me :)

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to confirm that my Macbook Pro (Core 2 duo) works with ALL Rockwell software, including RSLinx, RSLogix 5/500/500, and any others. It even communicates perfectly with the 1747-UIC modules and PLC-5's! You can either use Boot Camp (my preference, with all native drivers) or the latest build of Parallels. I'm not sure if VMWare Fusion works or not. FactoryTalk activations work perfectly as well.
Runs amazingly fast, and very reliably!

Hope this helps guys.

- I'm not sure how you did it with rslinx, I'm using my macAir with VMware fusion V4 with Rockwell software installed. Logix and FTview are all working fine. But when I try to go online the linx cannot detect the PLCs or the ENBT .. if I ping the PLC or ENBT i can ping it, but with rslinx using the etherNet/Ip driver it does not detect at all.. please advice if i miss up something with the VMware side..

Cheers

- I'm not sure how you did it with rslinx, I'm using my macAir with VMware fusion V4 with Rockwell software installed. Logix and FTview are all working fine. But when I try to go online the linx cannot detect the PLCs or the ENBT .. if I ping the PLC or ENBT i can ping it, but with rslinx using the etherNet/Ip driver it does not detect at all.. please advice if i miss up something with the VMware side..

Cheers
You may need to turn off the firewall or enable some port. I have RSLogix running on VM Ware on my Mac Pro.

You may need to turn off the firewall or enable some port. I have RSLogix running on VM Ware on my Mac Pro.

Thanks, but the network between my VM and the PLC is already stablish, since the ping can work. only in linx it can't work its a bit wierd problem but it really happen to me, and until its still not done. but I try your suggestion..

Cheers,

I've never been able to get the 'Ethernet/IP' driver to work reliably via my VM install, but the standard 'Ethernet Device' one works fine (obviously just need to set a path to each device on the network).
It's the same in FT - I have to manually add my HMI to the project rather than it being auto browsed and detected...

Hope this helps!

You can run RSLogix on a Virtual Machine on OSX using VMware Fusion. It works great!

Now a decade plus later that this thread was started..

I’m looking at upgrading my 10 year old Toughbook and am considering Mac. How are the new MacBooks with running RSLogix, Studio, Factory Talk and RSLinx in a Windows 10 virtual environment, now that they’ve come out with AutoCAD for Mac.

My company's entire engineering department uses macbook pro's. They all swear by them.

Mine's an early 2015, but two of my colleagues have the latest version. Biggest thing is just making sure you get the version with four USB-C ports instead of two. Other than that - great!

We run all of our AB software on Windows 7 VM's, but if it runs on a physical Windows 10 machine (or a virtual Windows 10 machine with a windows host) there should be no reason it won't work on a mac host.

I'd never go back to a PC. Battery life alone is reason enough for me to stick with mac. I'm really hoping that the 13" will come out with more than 16GB of RAM soon, as that's no longer really up there in terms of cutting edge - but even still, it's enough for anything I'm ever doing. I have 2x 24" monitors plugged in running two VM's simultaneously, one Windows 10 VM with AutoCAD and one Windows 7 VM which is remotely connected to a customer's site and programming with Studio 5000, and no problems at all.