InTouch 9 Retentive Alarm Log

Im trying to get the wonderware alarm buffer to be retentive. Under Configure, alarms, there is an "enable alarm retentive" . The help file says this enables windowviewer to keep the state of the alarm when view shutsdown. However, it doesnt seem to work. Is there a way to make the alarm log (alarm object with a historical query setting) retentive between view sessions? Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I think what you're describing applies to the .AlarmEnabled variable - i.e whether an alarm or group of alarms is processed or not.

To retain the state of individual alarms across view sessions try ticking the 'Reventive Value' box in the actual alarm tags

The actual state is from the plc. I mean historical logs in this case. Ones that have come and gone.
Im guessing that the retentive check box isnt saving the alarm buffer between view sessions, and that I need to do this differently. Does anyone else save thier alarm buffer and events?

If you use the distributed alarm display object, the buffer get flushed when view is shutdown. Use the AlmDbViewCtrl Activex to do what you want but it will require you to install SQL Server Express (free) or retail version.

Ive made some progress, but ive run into an error. I snagged SQL Express 2005 from MS. Installed. Ran the alarm DB logger manager. Clicked settings, enter sql server name, user info, consolidated. CLicked Test connection. Came back good, but no DB. Click create, say ok to make tables, and it gives me the error "unable to create consolidated mode of tables". This does this for detailed as well. Now, if I place the almdbiewcntrl object on the page, goto database tag Enter server name, good, username and pw. Click test, and it says "BOD or EOF ..... Command needs a record". Then after that, it says "connection successful. Database in colsolidated mode".
Now, if I goto the database, it has been created in the SQL server, with some tables, views, etc. However, when I start the smart cache, and goto VIEW and run some alarms, they do not appear to be entering into the DB. I assume this has something to do with the error I got, and the the DB is only partially created?? I have no way to know if it is, I cant find a table structure reference for it.

Any Ideas?

matt

Matt,
There may be some version compatibility. What version of Intouch are you running. With SQL Express 2005, I think you need 9.5 with SP1 or 10.0.

Im running 9.0 with the latest patches.

Im trying to get a mysql going as well. No luck so far, but I dont think I have mysql seupup right yet.

Should I grab an older version and try? XPSP2 too btw.

I don't think it will work with mysql. With 9.0 or lower you may have to install the retail SQLServer 2000.