PLC Remote Access

Giz99

I keep having a number of customers requesting that I provide remote access to their PLCs for remote troubleshooting purposes. The way that I have done this in the past is to install an small industrial PC in a panel with the appropriate programming software installed. The customer provides internet access to the machine and will plug the ethernet cable in when they want me to have access. I typically will use Logmenin or PC Anywhere to control the remote machine and use it to assist in troubleshooting.

This has worked out well in the past. Since this is becoming more and more common these days, what other techniques have people achieved this?

Giz

It depends on what PLC's you're using.

For ALSPA's and GEM's we use PILOT software to get them on the network. You then have one main server and clients everywhere else.

For the others, you could give them access (small amount of control) via the SCADA page? Again its setting up a server, and providing clients.

Personally I would not give too many people access to the PLC directly.

Giz - what you describe is exactly the method that my company requires when establishing remote communications for outside vendors coming into one of our facilities. The only addition to that is the use of a VPN to gain access to the PC. This gives our IS guys even more control over who comes into the network and where they can go once they are in. This method is kind of a PITA, but it works.

Steve

We do something similar to you.
One of the operator PC's will have dual network cards in it. 1 card for the industrial network and the other goes to the office network (unplugged). I have all the software on this PC and when I'm needed to troubleshoot, they plug the cable into the office switch and away I go. I use LogMeIn and ensure that they remove the network cable by disconnecting then watching for the PC to change to 'turn on' status.

Nice benefit of this is that I can do minor changes to the program on this PC instead of using my laptop with the smaller screen. This is my facility so little tweaks are quite common.

We use this http://www.****.biz/en/Products/affichage-produit.html?id=19 as the plc brand does not matter and is more cost effective than having a pc with licensed software in the panel.

It is a VPN and has multipe connection methods LAN,ADSL Modem Cellular Air Card ,etc.

Spectrum controls sell the exact same product. I think **** makes these for spectrum or the other way around.

I prefer having a PC setup at the clients premises that way if the connection fails for any reason you still have a backup method (get on the phone and talk someone thru process). Also if I have to download a program to PLC. I can first transfer it to local PC and then download to PLC as opposed to having the "satellite go behind a cloud" just when I'm downloading to the PLC.

We use on premise RHUB remote support appliances for remotely accessing computers from anywhere. It works from behind my company’s firewall; hence provides better security as compared to hosted services

Depends on the customer, but I've used Dialup, PCAnywhere, Logmein, VPN using RAdmin, RDP, Terminal Server, and just plain router/bridge hopping via something like RSLinx.

Depends on the customer, but I've used Dialup, PCAnywhere, Logmein, VPN using RAdmin, RDP, Terminal Server, and just plain router/bridge hopping via something like RSLinx.

I have tried all of these too. But recently trying out *********.net which works pretty good for remote support. We work with Rockwell PLC's, some GE's, and Siemens PLC's. Setup was a lot easier than more traditional approaches.

I have tried all of these too. But recently trying out *********.net which works pretty good for remote support. We work with Rockwell PLC's, some GE's, and Siemens PLC's. Setup was a lot easier than more traditional approaches.

Interesting post for many reasons, one of which being the quote from the "Controls Integrator" on the site you linked to is lifted from the OP. I'd have thought you (or they?) would have been decent enough to link back to this forum.

And even though it's an old thread, I still don't know why eWôn is a dirty word on this site...!

And even though it's an old thread, I still don't know why eWôn is a dirty word on this site...!

From what I heard, someone was doing spamming way back in the day (i assume not them directly). I guess it just never got removed from the automod list (unless they're still at it?).