PLC 5 password

My opinion:

If you provide a back door and widly distribute a product, eventually the backdoor will be discoverd. Hence; at some time in the future no security. So actually, providing the backdoor would be "Stupid". However it does make sense to provide a way to clear and reset the program memory.

I dont know for sure, but my guess is that Ron Beaufort is correct.

RB-

My post was squeezed in as a quick reply and not complete.

As per the AB procedure, not only was the password reset, but the CPU memory was cleared and the program lost. In my case, a 'clean' CPU is what I was looking for.

thanks,

CTG

I would not expect that a backdoor to a PLC's program would be available at large, only via the manufacturer having direct contact with the plc. I could see the possibility of a programer/contractor holding a customer to ransom or just being a pratt or even worse, through natural disaster of any kind loosing the password of a valuable program.
Therefore I believe there is and should be a backdoor.

Regards
Alfred