RSLogix 5000

RobWad

Can anyone help? I am trying to interface a panelview 1000 with a logix 5555 1756 L55A processor and using a 1756-CNB controlnet card with a coax connector. I am using Rsnetworx to configure when I go online I have no errors but when I go online with the rs5000 it does not see the panelview. Please any ideas are appreciated.o_O

Okay, take a few steps back and let's talk about the physical and logical connections.

What are the node addresses of the PanelView and the 1756-CNB ? On the 1756-CNB it's set using rotary switches and will display on the dot-matrix readout. On the PanelView it's configured using the Configuration Mode menu.

What is the physical connection like ? Are you using the proper ControlNet taps and terminating resistors ? Are there any other nodes on this network ?

What are the status LEDs on the PanelView and the 1756-CNB doing ?

You said that you "can't see" the PanelView in RSLogix 5000, but that you are configuring the network using RSNetworx for ControlNet. Can you browse the ControlNet with RSLinx or RSNetworx and at least have the PanelView icon appear in the browse ?

Panelview is node 20, 1756 CNB is node 3 slot 1. Panelview displays no plc communication and the leds on the controlnet card are steady green but in RS 5000 I\O config shows caution symbol with code 16#0315 connection request error invalid segment type. Yes I am using RSnetworx for controlnet and i do see panelview in there. I am using Coax connection type no resistors. Same set up worked on PLC 5. Thanks for the welcome.

Is this a PanelView Standard 1000 or a PanelView Plus 1000 ?

The PanelView can perform both scheduled I/O communication and unscheduled data table (PLC-5) or tag database (ControlLogix) reads and writes.

Has the PanelView application been reconfigured to work with ControlLogix tags ? Or are you using only the I/O connection ?

That error code is consistent with the PanelView not having a Scheduled I/O connection configured, but the ControlLogix attempting to establish that connection.

I guess I should of mentioned I used the translation tool to convert plc5 to the new controllogix. Its just a panelview 1000e 2711E-T10C15 to be exact. I went into the panelview program and plc communications and then nodes selected logix55xx as a device used to be plc5. It was my first time using this translation tool maybe I missed something. šŸ™ƒ

Last edited:
Okay, so that's a horse of yet another color; the PanelView Enhanced.

I don't remember if the PanelView Enhanced terminals supported a scheduled I/O connection. I suppose they do, but it's been... gosh, thirteen years since I used one.

There are probably two or three different issues with the PanelView configuration.

1. In the PLC-5C15 controllers, the PLC itself responded to any message sent to its ControlNet node number. ControlLogix can be in any slot of the chassis, so the path from the PanelView to the ControlLogix needs to go further: not just to the 1756-CNB ControlNet node number, but to the backplane and then to the Slot number of the ControlLogix.

2. The PanelView 1000E is probably still configured to work with the PLC-5 style data table addresses. Even if the Conversion tool created array tags like "N7[x]", external devices can't read those in PLC-5 style until they are defined in the "Map PLC/SLC Addresses" feature in ControlLogix.

3. The Scheduled I/O Connection. I'd have to check with Technical Support on that, but I think there are some diagnostic or status words you have to add to the I/O Connection size when you move it from a PLC-5 connection (done using RSNetworx for ControlNet) to a ControlLogix connection configured in the I/O tree inside RSLogix 5000.

I don't have PanelBuilder 1400e installed on any of my VM's and don't have time to dig out an old computer. Maybe another user can chime in, or this will give you enough hints to pursue with RA.

I did the mapping feature as well as I understood it. Looks like all I had to do is use the data file # from the plc5 and assign it to the translated tag address. I also noticed that I cannot use the scanlist configuration in the rsnetwork for contronet. Any ideas?

ControlLogix uses the I/O tree inside RSLogix 5000 to configure its connections, rather than using the Scanlist Configuration Tool in RSNetworx.

RSNetworx is still used to create the ControlNet Schedule and download it to all the nodes. RSNetworx gets the network connection parameters from the offline RSLogix 5000 file, or by browsing connection requests out of the 1756-CNB's.

Describe the old Scanlist configuration between the PLC-5 and the PanelView 1000e terminal, and that might help determine how you are going to configure the RSLogix 5000 connection.

I guess I'm a little confused on the translation tool. I had pce errors for timers saying plc5 were in .01 and 1.0 base and rs5000 was in .001. Says transition must be validated not sure what they mean. It looks like it already did it for me. Also gives pce errors for status files do not exist rs5000 uses GSV. My old scanlist config consists of plc, discrete exclusive owner and the slots as exclusive owners. I use the flex I/O they are configured in there as well as the pv.

You have a larger project than just that PanelView 1000E, so let's address those items one at a time.

PCE Errors are markers that the Translation Tool puts into the program to draw your attention to things it can't do automatically.

Timers are one of those things. The Translation Tool does the easy part of converting the Preset value from 1 Second or 1/100 Second units to milliseconds, but it doesn't know where else in the program or in the HMI application you might be using the .ACC or .PRE elements, so it flags the Timer instructions with a PCE to remind you to search those out.

The same deal with Status files; the same things don't exist (or function differently) in ControlLogix, so the Translation Tool flags them to remind you that you need to handle them yourself.

The I/O translation takes quite a bit of work, too.

There's really no easy or automatic way to convert a PLC-5C15 Scanlist into an RSLogix 5000 I/O tree. You just have to decide how much you're going to convert (do you need to stick with "N10[x]" as a data table format ?) and just go do it one at a time.

If you're willing to post the *.RSP, *.XC, and *.ACD files, I'd be willing to show you an explicit example of how to convert a PLC-5C15 connection to FLEX into a ControlLogix connection. Or you can chug along yourself, using the Knowledgebase or User Manuals, or you can recruit local help.

I tried to attach files but don't know where they went not sure how to use the attachment tool. I selected files and hit upload. Let me know if it worked or what I did wrong bad week feel like I couldn't even fix a sandwich.

In general, put the files into a ZIP archive and attach them.

Step-by-step:

Click the Attach Files button in the Additional Options section. A popup window labeled Attach Files will appear.

Click one of the Choose File buttons. A file browser popup will appear.

Select the file you want to attach, and click the Open button on the bottom of the file browser.

Click the Upload button in the Attach Files dialog box. This uploads the files you have selected and associates them with your post.