Rslinx

blueyeguy40

Hi All:

I am having a great time in my plc class. We are discussing networking and how it works. We have a row of 5/3 SLC's tied together using AB's Data Highway 485 protocol. Were learning that Rslinx is used to tie all these together. We went through some demo's and changed some settings to do different things. The one thing that was lacking is more information on Rslinx. This class is a very relaxed and requires us to do our own research concerning different labs.

I am finding it difficult to get information as to how Rslinx works. I would like to know if anyone in this forum knows where I can get a good ref of Rslinx.

I don't know much about network programing, which leaves me a bit in the dark as to the common aspects beween this network (Rslinx) and other networks.

I looked through the AB online manuals and found some info but nothing that brings me to a deeper understanding. I would eventually like to learn more about these systems and even integrate different systems together. Thats for another post.

As always, your help is most apreciated.

Joe

A little help.

RSLinx is more a suite of drivers than a "network". It supports several network types that is in Allen Bradley's (Rockwells) scope of supported networks.
Also, it comes in several versions with more and more facilities the more expensive it is.

RSLinx "lite" is bundled with RSLogix programming packages. It works only with RSLogix. Its appears as a common driver interface to RSLogix.

RSLinx "OEM" is required for the RSView32 SCADA package. In addition, it allows OPC and DDE communication with other software packages.

RSLinx "Gateway" allows to act as a gateway to other RSLinx over Ethernet. With this, a remote connection can be setup over a companys network or intranet.

The network doesn't need RSLinx to function as a network, but a pc needs it to access the network - e.g. a SCADA package or a PC based HMI. Minor point but worth noting that RSLinx controls communications for more than programming.