saftronics c10 vfd

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
At a customer today with a Saftronics C10 vfd. The drive still runs, but the keypad is bad. It does not display correctly at all and you can make no sense out of what it displays.

Am I correct that Saftronics is no more?? Are there still anybody around that has replacement parts? Like a keypad? I also have heard that Saftronics brand-labeled their stuff so maybe I could get a replacement from the OEM of this drive.

The drive info is Model#: C10 4020-1 S/N: B54603-010

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's true that Saftronics never made their drives, they were brand-labeling Yaskawa for years, then when Yaskawa bought out most of their other partners like Magnetek and EMS, Saftronics switched to brand-labeling drives from GE/Fuji. I believe the C10 was from the GE/Fuji era, because a manual I have on the C10 dates to 2005, and the GE/Fuji deal was cut in 2002. GE and Fuji have now separated, so it's just Fuji, but I'm not sure what version of Fuji drive was being labeled as the Saftronics C10.

Saftronics technically still existed as a division of Emerson/Control Techniques up until recently, but I'm not sure what happened now that Emerson sold off that entire division to the Japanese firm Nidec. Nidec had already bought US Motors from Emerson, and a Servo line, so now they have the drive line too. But I don't know if they kept the old Saftronics group.

The C10 was from TECO/Westinghouse. It was a (sorta) clone of the Yaskawa G3. It was sold primarily as an OEM drive that could be customized.

When Emerson bought Saftronics/Fincor and combined them with Control Techniques, most of the private labeled products were dropped. Eventually the Saftronics and Fincor names were dropped, and the facilities sold. A few of the people are still with Control Techniques, but not the products.

Up until about 2 years ago, you could still buy the M7200 (best I can recall) from Factorymation.com. It has since been dropped.

While I am sure there are plenty of the old drives out there working, and some in the surplus market, they are old enough to seriously consider just replacing...