Simatic Step 7 V5.3 Upgrade

sparkysliderz

Hiya Guys!

I just have a very quick question for the forum.
I have just been given the disks to upgrade from V5.2 to V5.3!
Before I start to install it I wondered if any of the forum members have experienced any problems with this?

Thanks for your time guys!

Apart from doing a backup before starting, I didn't take any particular precautions - had no problems of any sort other than the 1.5 hours waiting time! To be fair the PC was not the newest.

On a new PC where I installed everything from scratch last week it went through in under half-an-hour.

Also upgrade ALM to 1.11 , the first version is a bit buggy .
I assume that you have a license for this as well - you can also save the license to a CF card if you want too.

Haven't got it to work on my old PC yet.
Before, it needed IE6.0 to run. I loaded that on, and now it fails to install for no particular reason.

Am waiting for my new PC to load this software on.
10 working days delivery = 6 weeks so far.
Obviously, our IT guys only work 1 or 2 days a week. This explains a lot!

Doug

I have had no problems in the upgrading. I did have a problem when I saved a V5.3 project and then trying to open it with V5.1

I think that the point I was trying to make (though it seems to have missed the mark) is that it is fairly infrequently software is forwardly compatible . Did you expect an earlier version of Siemens to open a new version project ? Just think about this one !

Actually, I have succesfully sent my STEP7 v5.3 project to a customer with v5.1, and he could open it with no problems.
Be sure to use the "archive" and "retrieve" functions when you do this, not the raw project.
Actually, Siemens should have a pat on the back for providing backwards compatibility this way. Most other PLC platforms cannot do this.
Mind you, if the program uses specific v5.3 functions, then it might not be possible to do it.

edit: forwards compatible, or is it backwards compatible ?
Oh forget it, you know what I mean !

Last edited:
A small update.

Just read a technote from Siemens, that if a v5.2+ program is stored on an MMC card, then it can no longer be uploaded and opened in v5.1 (or lesser version number).

I've just installed the V5.3 SP2 upgrade (which provides XP SP2 compatibility along with a few other things). At the opening installation screen where you select the language you want there was an estimate of 'time remaining' - this read 31 minutes. So I noted the time on my watch, selected English, hit 'Enter' and left it to run while I got on with other things at the same desk.

I didn't touch one more button and exactly 31 minutes later it completed the installation and was ready to run. I've never known such a smooth or accurate installation from any software supplier!

Let's hope this is the start of good things ...

Regards

Ken.

i have had alot of fun upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3

the first time the installation halted near the end and had corrupted the 5.2 installation.

with the next attempt halfway into the installation it asked to insert disk 1 but it was already in the drive :(

then i tried to uninstall version 5.2 but that wasnt possible because the installation was corrupted. So i had to manually remove all the files and registry entry's.

with the next attempt the installation was completed succesfully.

it took a whole day to upgrade from version 5.2 to 5.3

greetz,

Marsupilami