RSLogix Emulate 5000 and Wonderware Intouch 9.5

elmatador

Hello,

I am currently, interfacing a controllogix PLC to Wonderware Intouch 9.5 via the DASABCIP Server. In the DASABCIP server, i just enter the IP address of the clx and am able to get all the I/O without any problems.

I have to go to the clients office to show them a demo of the HMI and the PLC program. I wanted to use the RSLogix Emulate software as I will not have physical hardware to interface with.

I configured a Virtual Chassis in RSLinx and then also, changed the controller properties in RSLogix 5000 to the emulator. I then created a new DDE topic in RSLinx.

In Intouch, i modified the accessname with the application name as RSlinx and the DDE setting but this is not working. Do i need to have some sort of WWRSlinx software to be able to do this? What method of testing i/o do you use when interfacing between the HMI and RSLinx (i.e RSlinx, opc??)

If anyone also has any step by step screenshots that would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

An easy way to test the RSLinx Topic configuration is to use the OPC test client, installed by rslinx setup on your pc
.(default path "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\OPCTools\OPCTest\opctest.exe"
There you may configure the RSLinx server , a new group and a new item and point to some data table addresses to see if it is connected.

Another easy way is to copy the OPC/DDE link to the clipboard and paste into excel, to see in a cell the value of your tag. See image below.

opc2.JPG

- [font=comic sans ms,sans-serif]fuzzy logic[/font]

elmatador said:
Hello,

I am currently, interfacing a controllogix PLC to Wonderware Intouch 9.5 via the DASABCIP Server. In the DASABCIP server, i just enter the IP address of the clx and am able to get all the I/O without any problems.

I have to go to the clients office to show them a demo of the HMI and the PLC program. I wanted to use the RSLogix Emulate software as I will not have physical hardware to interface with.

I configured a Virtual Chassis in RSLinx and then also, changed the controller properties in RSLogix 5000 to the emulator. I then created a new DDE topic in RSLinx.

In Intouch, i modified the accessname with the application name as RSlinx and the DDE setting but this is not working. Do i need to have some sort of WWRSlinx software to be able to do this? What method of testing i/o do you use when interfacing between the HMI and RSLinx (i.e RSlinx, opc??)

If anyone also has any step by step screenshots that would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

What version of RSLinx do you have? Single Node or Classic do not support FastDDE with Wonderware. You need the old Pro or newer Gateway.

robertmee is right... you will get an error attempting to connect using FastDDE..

Anyway, the Wonderware product will still work with RSLinx Single Node or OEM,using a standard DDE connection.
In that case the data transfer will be slower due to the fact that it uses one packet per item, instead of FastDDE that puts multiple requests into one packet.

Otherwise you may use
Wonderware's OPCLink I/O server with RSLinx Single Node or OEM... (OPC instead of DDE)

- fuzzy logic

fuzzy logic said:
Anyway, the Wonderware product will still work with RSLinx Single Node or OEM,using a standard DDE connection.

Really? That's news to me. I went 'round and 'round on this 6 months ago and could never get Single Node to work with WW under any circumstances (barring OPC). Rockwell tech support finally confirmed that Single Node wouldn't work with IT 9.5. I'd be very interested to know how you enforce WW to use 'regular' DDE and not FastDDE. The DDE/Suitelink setting had no effect. The issue came down to WW being a 3rd party app.

Last edited:
robertmee, I'm not an expert of WW, I've just found this infos on Rockwell KB.
After that, following are some links that show communication between WW and RSLinx using RSlinx OEM.

LINK 1
LINK 2

o_O

However, as also suggested by WW, it is better to use OPC where applicable, instead of DDE....that is available also with RSLinx Single Node...:p

Last edited:
fuzzy logic said:
robertmee, I'm not an expert of WW, I've just found this infos on Rockwell KB.
After that, following are some links that show communication between WW and RSLinx using RSlinx OEM.

LINK 1
LINK 2

o_O

However, as also suggested by WW, it is better to use OPC where applicable, instead of DDE....that is available also with RSLinx Single Node...:p

Ummmm....That first link is for FactorySuite 2000 which is old. That's roughly version 7.0, not 9.5 which uses an entirely different DDE engine now.

EDIT (Strange, my second paragraph disappeared): I agree that the DASABCIP Factory Gateway driver is the best method, however, with RSEmulator5000 that's not an option. RSLinx must be used like the OP tried.

Last edited:
whoa guys, this turned into quite the discussion. Just got back from the field and saw the posts. Very good information from the both of you. I will try out a few things to get this going.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

Didn't test with OEM or Single Node RSLinx but was able to make IT9.5 works with CLX emulator and RSLinx Gateway 2.51.