Siemens S7 to A-B ControlLogix EtherNet/IP Communications

Hey gang, I am out of my comfort zone with this task. I have to get a ControlLogix to broadcast about 100 different tags to a Siemens S7. My experts tell me that I MUST use a gateway (like an HMS Anybus X-Gatey) to convert from DeviceNet to ProfiNet.

What I would prefer to do is install an EtherNet/IP on both sides (S7 and A-B) and open a port on both sides that contains the data to be monitored and/or shared. Is this possible to do this without the use of this third-party component? I don't want to have the two PLC companies, but it is what it is and we have to make it work.

I'm assuming that I need to have an EDS file on each side (S7 side would have one for the A-B ControlLogix; then the A-B side would have the S7 EDS).

Can anyone help me out here? I've always had A-B to A-B or S5 to S5/S7, but never A-B to S7.

Thanks.
Rob

I am afraid that your experts are correct.
I think that hell will freeze over, before you will be able to have DeviceNet on a Siemens PLC....
A gateway is your best and maybe only alternative.

//Patrick L
HMS

There is another option. If you have an ordinary HMI or PCHMI, then you can connect both system to it and then "share" the other systems tags eighter trough the symboltabel/namelist or install a opc on a PCHMI.

This only works if your HMI is compatible with these system protocols.

/Jonatan

There has been several threads about this these last few months.

These are your options:

-Roll your own Ethernet/IP driver for S7. (most unlikely)
-Get the latest EWEB web server module for CLX, these can use socket comms, which will allow you to communicate directly with S7. (not tested, not verified)
-Get a gateway. The anybus gateway seems a bit overboard. Get a simple Ethernet/IP to Industrial Ethernet gateway. Siemens promotes INAT's Echochange for AB to Siemens communication.
HMI, OPC, SCADA, etc are considered Gateways and also valid options. (although more a roundabout way of doing things)

Yet another possibility is to add a Profibus module to the ControlLogix rack.

Does this have to be reasonably high performance and/or deterministic ?
In that case you have to make a solution that uses deterministic networks all the way, also if you use a gateway.

Welcome to the forum Amol,

I think that the best way to get an answer to your question is to contact HMS office in Pune.
Call +91 (0) 20 40111201 and ask for Moses Mhankale.

BR
Patrick L