Translating MicroLogix 1500 ( RS Logix 500 ) to CompactLogix 1769-L18 (RS Logix 5000)

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I have a MicroLogix 1500 program I would like to convert to a CompactLogix
1769-L18ER. Can I use the RS Logix 5000 Tools/ Translate PLC-5 SLC ? If so , I
took notice the 1769-L18ER was not listed in the controller types.

Thanks so much in advance.

The translation tool does a reasonable job, but does tend to make the resulting code hard to read, as it converts N7:35 type addresses to N7_35 tagnames.

If the program isn't too large, I would recommend just recoding it into the CompactLogix, making meaningfull tagnames as you go. How many rungs in total are there ??

There are opportunities to make the program better, more easily understandable, and it will be easier to spot areas of concern... the different rounding algorithm, for instance.

It is fairly large. I agree with you. It can be a simpler program if I rewrite it. How come more processors are not listed in Step 2 of the translate tool ?