Help : Simens OPC server SIMATIC NET V15

WISAM

Hello All,

I have a system of 2 PLCs Siemens CPU 315 - 2PN/DP (with a program Simatic S7 V5.5) and PC station runs Siemens OPC server Simatic net V7 ,and they are connected over Ethernet.

I want to upgrade the PC station , so i installed SIMATIC net V15 to be compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 (my new station).
and here i have the problem:

• The PLCs are ruuning under step 7 program V5.5 so i can not add OPC V15 in the HW configs.

• When I try to migrate the project from S7 to V15 it comes with alot of errors .

• I tried to export the blocks(.AWL) and the hardware configs (.cfg) then import it in TIA portail V15 , it generates a lot of error for the FCs that have been built in STL , and i could not import the hard ware configs from the .cfg file in TIA portail

Any Idea how to solve this problem , i need an OPC server V15 communicate with 2 PLC running on Simatic Step 7 V5.5

Thanx for u all ,

Wisam

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have a system of 2 PLCs Siemens CPU 315 - 2PN/DP (with a program Simatic S7 V5.5) and PC station runs Siemens OPC server Simatic net V7 ,and they are connected over Ethernet.

I want to upgrade the PC station , so i installed SIMATIC net V15 to be compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 (my new station).
and here i have the problem:

• The PLCs are ruuning under step 7 program V5.5 so i can not add OPC V15 in the HW configs.

• When I try to migrate the project from S7 to V15 it comes with alot of errors .

• I tried to export the blocks(.AWL) and the hardware configs (.cfg) then import it in TIA portail V15 , it generates a lot of error for the FCs that have been built in STL , and i could not import the hard ware configs from the .cfg file in TIA portail

Any Idea how to solve this problem , i need an OPC server V15 communicate with 2 PLC running on Simatic Step 7 V5.5

Thanx for u all ,

Wisam

I think if you configure the new OPC server (V15) with the most up to date version that Simatic Manager has, it works.

It's a bit of playing pretend, but Siemens stuff tends to be pretty backwards compatible.

Hi Wisam,

Shot in the dark here, but can you import the V5.5 stations as device proxy in TIA?

If you don't need the PLC symbols in your OPC Server/Client, then you can create a new project and configure the connections to the PLCs manually as unspecified connetions, without having them in your project.

If you don't need the PLC symbols in your OPC Server/Client, then you can create a new project and configure the connections to the PLCs manually as unspecified connetions, without having them in your project.

Thank you for the reply , my PLCs are connected to remote IO cards (Siemens) through a profibus network , i have 40 devices interconnected.

I do not know if the symbols will be an issue for me , because my job is to make sure that OPC server is communicating with the PLCs and i can browse all variables in the PLCs (i will demand if they want the PLC symbols).

thank you again for the remarks i will try the solution today.

I think if you configure the new OPC server (V15) with the most up to date version that Simatic Manager has, it works.

It's a bit of playing pretend, but Siemens stuff tends to be pretty backwards compatible.

Thank u for the replay .

Hi Thomas ,

I create the project and configure it , then i created the XDB file and import the station with OPC configuration , it worked ... i can access the DBs in the project through Scout10 .

I need the symbols because i have 900 variables. Is there any method so that i can recover the symbols and put it in the OPC server ?

Thanx in advance

bests

Wisam

Hi Wisam,

Shot in the dark here, but can you import the V5.5 stations as device proxy in TIA?

Hi Boneless,

I tried to link the PC station and proxy device on TIA V15 , it did not worked because i need step7 on the same PC.
So I create Proxy device project on TIA 14 and then I open it with TIA15 and then i configure my OPC server in the TIA V15 project and link it to the proxy device.

The problem is that I have 2 PLCs in the same project the (file.s7p) from where i import the program. so my architecture is not suitable in that case , i will have 1 IP address instead of 2(one for each PLC ) ,but i think its very interested way to link old projects with new HMIs or OPC server from Siemens because it imports the symbols as well.

Thanks alot for the idea ,

Bests

Wisam

Hi Thomas ,

I create the project and configure it , then i created the XDB file and import the station with OPC configuration , it worked ... i can access the DBs in the project through Scout10 .

I need the symbols because i have 900 variables. Is there any method so that i can recover the symbols and put it in the OPC server ?

You can create the symbolic file manually in the Symbol Editor (hope it's already there in V15). But for 900 variables I think it's not the way to go.

Without using the PLC Proxy, you can add the PLCs manually as dummy-PLCs into your PC-Station project.

There are several ways to do this. You can convert the Step7 V5.x project to V14 and copy the stations into your PC-Station project, or add the PLCs with the correct address manually, and using DB-Sourcefiles you create in Step7 and import in TIA as external source.

Before trying to convert the Step7 project, I'd clean up the project so the conversion will hopefully run without problems. Means: deleting all from hardware configuration except the CPU/CP, delete all program blocks (OB/FB/FC) and only keep the datablocks you want to get access to.

You can create the symbolic file manually in the Symbol Editor (hope it's already there in V15). But for 900 variables I think it's not the way to go.

Without using the PLC Proxy, you can add the PLCs manually as dummy-PLCs into your PC-Station project.

There are several ways to do this. You can convert the Step7 V5.x project to V14 and copy the stations into your PC-Station project, or add the PLCs with the correct address manually, and using DB-Sourcefiles you create in Step7 and import in TIA as external source.

Before trying to convert the Step7 project, I'd clean up the project so the conversion will hopefully run without problems. Means: deleting all from hardware configuration except the CPU/CP, delete all program blocks (OB/FB/FC) and only keep the datablocks you want to get access to.

I will try it , thanx again

Hi Thomas ,

I tried to realise the solution you gave me and it worked for importing the symbols.
TIA portail V15/
I created a project with 2 dummy PLCs I imported the DBs and the variables with symbols by adding it from external source file.

I added my PLCs in the HW configs .
I did set the Ethernet IP addresses.
I compiled the project and exported a XDB file .
I could go online and see the variable from TIA portail V15 variable table , and the program in the PLC is under Step7.

in the OPC station /
I imported the station Via XDB file .

then I opened Scout 10 to see whether the variables are imported to the servers. and i could see them in the OPC tree .

The Problem now is that when i monitor one of the variables the opc client gives Quality := bad .

then when I give a read command the OPC client gives me E_Fail , PLZ sea the Picture

I tried with Matrikon OPC client also but it gives the same results -- bad quality .

so to Summarize i succeed to import the variables , but through the opc client can not see the values inside the PLC

I verfied that no errors on the OPC server it is in normal functionality .

Thank you

Bests

Wisam

opcfail2.jpg OPCfail1.jpg OPCfail matrikon.JPG station configurator.JPG OPC after read command.JPG

Hi Thomas ,

I tried to realise the solution you gave me and it worked for importing the symbols.
TIA portail V15/

• I created a project with 2 dummy PLCs I imported the DBs and the variables with symbols by adding it from external source file.

I added my PLCs in the HW configs .
    I did set the Ethernet IP addresses.
    I compiled the project and exported a XDB file .
    I could go online and see the variable from TIA portail V15 variable table , and the program in the PLC is under Step7.
in the OPC station /

• I imported the station Via XDB file .

then I opened Scout 10 to see whether the variables are imported to the servers. and i could see them in the OPC tree .

The Problem now is that when i monitor one of the variables the opc client gives Quality := bad .

then when I give a read command the OPC client gives me E_Fail , PLZ sea the Picture

I tried with Matrikon OPC client also but it gives the same results -- bad quality .

so to Summarize i succeed to import the variables , but through the opc client can not see the values inside the PLC

I verified that no errors on the OPC server it is in normal functionality . but still I have no access to the values in the PLC (Online)

I do not know what to need to be verified? could you help me to solve it .

Thank you

Bests

Wisam

opcfail2.jpg OPCfail1.jpg OPCfail matrikon.JPG OPC after read command.JPG opcfail3.JPG

Do you have more than one network card in your PC station?
Then check the settings from the program "Siemens Communication Settings", which you can find in the Windows startmenu in Simatic Net folder.

Can you ping the PLCs from the PC station?

It's not as easy as I've expected :(

The S7-connection in TIA uses a TSAP connection ressource of 10 hex, which cannot be modified. This ressource means, that this is a configured connection and so it needs to be configured in the PLC as well, otherwise it will refuse any connection attempts with this TSAP.
If you use an unspecified connection, then it uses connection ressource 03 which has not to be configured in the PLC - but then you don't get the symbol connection.

If you've got PLC and PC-Station in the same project (TIA or Step7) it's an easy task, as you only download the PLC after configuring the connection and it runs. But if I understand you correctly, you want to keep the PLC program in Step7 5.x.

So the only solution will be, to configure a passive S7 connection in the S7 in your Step7 project with the same TSAP you see in the TIA project when you select the S7 connection (10.02 for example) and then download the system data (CPU stop requested).
I can make you some screenshots of the settings if you need further informations.