1746 BAS Connection.

4ggls

I have a Laser Marker that has a SLC 5/03 and 1746 BAS module. I purchased a 4 slot rack, SLC 5/03 and 1746 BAS. The Laser Marker homes wrong in two axis, jogs correctly in one axis. There isn't any documentation for the controls. I do have the machine schematics. All of the RS 232 connectors are used for machine operation, locked out for programming use. I have RSLinx and RSLogix 500. After much trouble I uploaded the SLC program via the DH 485 port with a 1747 UIC. Stored it on the PC and downloaded it to the spare SLC. I would like to do the same with the 1746 BAS.
I can get RSLinx to open a port on the 1746 BAS with a 1747 UIC, but RSLogix doesn't support this module. Now I know that I can spend $840 at Rockwell and get their software. I know that I can use Hyperterm on the RS 232 port and "list" for program.

My questions are:
1) How do I set/use Hyperterm to emulate DH 485 on the 1746 BAS module with the 1747 UIC?
2) Will RSLogix 5000 support the 1746 BAS? (Alluded to in a Rockwell .pdf.)

And consider this:

I CAN NOT LOSE THE 1746 BAS PROGRAM WHATEVER I DO!!! I'm not smart enough to fix it. And I have been doing this work for 30 years.

I will leave it "as is", verses any chance of program loss. I don't think that the SLC or BAS are the problem, far too complex for a factory tech. But would like the complete picture be for I start making changes, also the owner diserves a complete documentation package. Since I am having this much trouble getting into the SLC and BAS I believe the Intelligent Actuator (IAI) program was changed for some reason. It seems to be the easiest to work with. The machine also includes an MMI.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Glen

PBASE and a 1747-PIC is the only method for communicating with the 1746-BAS over DH485. You'll have to find an old PC with a real serial port that can run DOS or at least Win95/98 if you want to try that.

PBASE was really just a terminal program, with the additional feature of that DH485 driver. I've never used anything but serial terminals (mostly Hyperterminal).

I would just use one of the RS-232 ports, and use Control-C to stop execution, then LIST to print the program, then RUN to get it going again.

As long as you don't issue a NEW or ERASE command, or save to EEPROM or write over lines of the BASIC program, you won't damage the program.

Ken Roach,

I will try this when I can, I'll let you know results. This is the a reason to use PBASE. In all of the threads I have seen the part that DH 485 is incorporated is new. I have several PC's that are old. I deleted some of my reply after looking for Pbase software. I keep getting a photo sharing software. Is this an Allen Bradley product?

Last edited:
jrwb4gbm,

I am sorry, lost my manors, Thank You for your help. Busy day here, drilling a well, first hole caved in on his bit about 115' down. Moved rig and hit Granite at 125' and spent hours making casing seat. Now down to 145', no water and quit for night. I'm just preoccupied.

Thank You again,
Glen

We're not just talking an "old" PC, here. We're talking "nothing newer than a Pentium at 90 MHz", taking us back at least 18 years.

PBASE is so obsolete I doubt that even RA Technical Support has archives of it. I worked there for thirteen years and never used it once.

Since you're going to have to stop the module execution anyhow to LIST the program, I would still connect to an RS-232 port, Control-C, LIST, RUN.

Ken Roach,

I worked there also, From 78 till 81 as a Consultant. Was responsible for 7320 Hardware Maintenance, also worked on some of the original PLC power supplies. I have 10 years with them starting out on W 152 St before AB as a Test Tech. It was Bunker Ramo then. That NC experience provided a lifetime of employment.

I have a 486/100 that I just keep to do ACad with. This should work, if not I think I still have a working XT or 286.

If I understood you correctly, I can use Hyperterm on the PRN1 port and force a stop with a Ctrl-C and then "LIST". Restart with "RUN". When I ran RSLinx the only port usable was the DH 485. I'll try this on the spare module first. I can buy a clone 1747 PIC from Ron Beaufort at Ind Systems, I think it was $30.

Again Thanks,
Glen

Those are definitely bona fides. My oldest PC is probably only fifteen years, if you don't count the Apple II clones in the basement.

If you can get PBASE from RA, go ahead and try it on the DH485 connection.

I'm not a BASIC module expert, but I'm not sure it would respond to LIST on the DH485 port if it was still executing an application program.

So yes, use Hyperterminal or TeraTerm or RealTerm to stop the program with Control-C, LIST it (save the terminal window, of course) and RUN to put it back into executing the program.

Ken Roach,

I order the 1747 PIC today. I have the two disks for PBase. Tried it in XP and it died looking for password. Expect same thing in older a PC, but have to try it and see. Leave no stone un-turned.

Glen

Just to give you my 2 cents worth, I've programmed literally hundreds of the 1746-BAS cards for barcode readers (with all of the same program). I had PBASE for writing the program and communicating, but in reality, I never used it. My program was about 30 lines long for bringing in serial (ASCII) data on both ports. I always used RS232 after moving the jumpers and I always used Hyperterminal. It would usually take a few tries for me to get all my configurations correct, then loading the code was a 30 second ordeal. I always used a Dell with a real serial port so I am not sure about the USB-RS232 converter.

Not sure what you mean by RS5000 supporting the 1746-BAS.

I have a small document by Rockwell on using Hyperterminal to program a 1746-BAS. I will be happy to email it to you if you PM your email address.

brucechase,

I know that the RS 232 ports are committed in the program. I can get RSLinx to acquire the module on the DH 485 port only. The SLC 5/03 was the same way, DH 485 only. I would like the Rockwell Doc., e-mail is [email protected]. I will practice on the spare 1746 BAS. Once I find the correct settings I will see all the ways I missed at connecting in other attempts.

Again I only need this to have some documentation. and use the spares as backup before a failure. If this is lost, the machine is junk.

Glen

Once you change the jumpers and stop the program, it doesn't matter if they are committed or not. It will default to allow you to program without needing rslinx. When you go back into run mode, you will just lose communication with your laptop.

As an example, loading programs is done at 1200 baud where all the data I collected was at 9600 baud. So as soon as I typed in run after the program was loaded, the basic module went to 9600 and I lost comms since my laptop was at 1200.

All you will need to do is changed the jumpers to make prt1 the program port with default communication settings and connect at 1200 baud. Practice this on your spare module. I sent the doc to you. If you need anything else, let me know and I will do what I can.

brucechase,

Thank You, the info provided lead me to "Connection". Following is a Read Me I did for the next time.

Glen

1) Hyperterm using RS 232 port on PC, Com1, 1200,8,XonXoff

2) Under Properties/Settings change Emulation to VT100 under
AskII Setup make Line delay 20ms, Char delay 20ms,
Append line feeds, Wrap lines

3) At power up of PLC Rack following is displayed:

"SLC 500 BASIC Module - Catalog Number 1746-BAS

Firmware release: 5.00

Allen-Bradley Company, Copyright 1991

All rights reserved"

4) Cntr "C" halts module, Only at power up.

5) list followed by an "Enter" gives program, last line is
"END", next line is "READY", next line is ">".

IE:

30 END

READY

>
list 10-20 followed by "Enter", lists lines from 10 through 20

6) Rockwell 1746 BAS Documents

1746_rm001_en_p (Basic Language)
1746_um004_en_p (Modue spec, port settings)

READ THEM! ,READ THEM! ,READ THEM! ,READ THEM!

7) JW1 pin 1 TO 2, 3 TO 4
JW2 PIN 1 TO 2, 3 TO 4
JW3 PIN 1 TO 3, 2 TO 4
JW4 PIN 3 TO 4, 5 TO 6

If you look at component mask the pins are marked clearly.

8) Using RS 232 Serial Port with Direct Connect Cable from PC to 1747 BAS
PRT 1.