OT: I finally did it!!

I too want to congratulate you.
I would definitely tout your achievement. In addition, the
continued desire to obtain your PE is commendable.

I got my degree early on, working a full time job and an additional part time so that I could reduce my borrowing. My parents did help some, but it was hard for them. After 7 years in industry, I decided to obtain my PE - it was difficult to get back into the studying (by this time I was married and had a child). Now I'm going at it again and going to get my PMP certification.

Anyway, congrats - keep it up. Just remember that no one will watch out after #1 - you must do it. Even if it requires a career change (or company change).

Congratulations Bob. As others have said, I am amazed when people in your position, who have work, family and a host of other obligations, can stick it out and finish a degree program on top of that. That is to be truly commended.

Keith

Advice about home study

Congratulations! I was actually thinking about trying to work on a degree from home. Anyone have advice/recommendations as to getting a EE degree from home.

Congratulations again, Bob.

You should talk to your current employer about positions suitable for your new status, or at least a raise or promotion. There are a lot of advantages in sticking with the company you know (and a lot of advantages for them also). Sometimes, though, they will not respect your new degree until they think you really will leave.

Thanks everyone. It has been very hard balancing family, work, and school but it can be done. I would have never been able to complete it without the support of my wife and daughters. They worked hard to make sure I had the time I needed to study. They helped me earn this degree.

Russ, you made me blush. I don't think anyone has ever called me a "role Model" before.

Pete, unfortunately, I had to put all my gaming aside while I was going to school. As you well may know, RPGs take a lot of time to play. In fact, I plan on a marathon playing session next week to get back into the swing of things...:) It is funny that you mention wizard because I always play a spellcaster. He who casts the biggest fireball wins.

I like to tell all the kids in school that I am proof that you are never too old to go after your dream. If you have the drive and the desire, it can be done. Now, I will never have to regret not doing it.

Now that it is over, I mentioned to my wife "I don't know what I am going to do now that I am not going to school." Her reply was simple. "Work." I laughed and said I know that but what am I going to do with all the free time now that I do not have to study. She said, "Oh, I have a list!" LOL

Thanks again,

Bob

rta53 said:
Congratulations! I was actually thinking about trying to work on a degree from home. Anyone have advice/recommendations as to getting a EE degree from home.

I think that the U of ND has a study from home course for EE. You do have to go to the scholl for 2 weeks each semester to do all the labs. As far as I know, this is the only EE program like this. All other ones are EET degrees (Electrical Engineering Technology). These are not considered Engineering degrees.

Congratulations Bob!!!

When I met you around a year ago I knew you'd make it.

If you are serious about becoming a PE make sure you find a job working under a PE as, at least last time I checked, in Illinois you have to work 4 yrs under the direction of a PE after passing your FE test to apply for your own PE license. All the requirements should be at illinois.gov.

I have my EIT (Engineer in Training) but don't believe I'll ever get my PE.

ndzied1 said:
Congratulations Bob!!!

When I met you around a year ago I knew you'd make it.

If you are serious about becoming a PE make sure you find a job working under a PE as, at least last time I checked, in Illinois you have to work 4 yrs under the direction of a PE after passing your FE test to apply for your own PE license. All the requirements should be at illinois.gov.

I have my EIT (Engineer in Training) but don't believe I'll ever get my PE.

Thanks Norm! The company I am working for now has two PE's (one is the owner) so there should be no problem getting this requirement filled. All I need to do now is to start studying to prepare for the test in April. Working for a company that does contract work almost screams that you need a PE for signing off on various projects. I think it will make me more marketable in the future. I do still plan to continue in the controls industry in the future so I also plan on continuing my education in that direction. (I am thinking of starting a master's program somewhere in the fall...)

Bob