OP27 Protool

Oh forgot to mention the laptop is a DELL D630 and it does indeed have a serial port on it. And that is labeled as COM 1
Physically labelled "COM1" ? That does not mean it is COM1 in reality.
You have to check what COM port is assigned to it in Windows Control Panel ... System ... Device Manager.
Since you had the COM port working with other softwares, I assumed that you have this sorted out already.

The 3rd cable is the right one. I am certain of this.
Be sure to plug it into IF2, not IF1A.
The OP27 must say "TRANSFER MODE".
That is all there is to it.

You can also try MPI download as Ned Flanders suggest. It is described in the manual chapter 14.2, but only if a project is already loaded onto the panel (? cryptic, but that is what it says).

Hmm... Yes, it says transfer mode and should work. As Jesper says, if there is a program already loaded there may be a "Setup" screen which allows you to put it into another mode".If this is so the screen will say "Operating mode" and if you press "Enter" with this highlighted, there will be 4 options "Online" "Offline" "Serial download" and "MPI download".Running out of ideas!!

JesperMP, in the windows system device manager it is labeled as com1 and when I use CSACPE or Mitsubishi I have it set as com1. So that hopefully means that a setting of com1 is indeed proper and that com1 is working as it should. Again this is a major assumption but it seems to be a good one.

Ned, if I power on the HMI with no PLC attached and hold the up arrow and ESC at same time the message that I wrote above is displayed.

If I let the HMI power up completely and then go to the systems menu, yes there are 4 options. They are ONLINE, OFFLINE, DOWNLOAD, and PASS THROUGH.

In the manual link that was mentioned above these indeed are the correct four options.

However when I choose DOWNLOAD it will display the exact same message as stated above. It never says DOWNLOAD it only has the TRANS MODE: message just like shown above and like I said the words trans mode are highlighted.

I know what you mean by saying you are running out of ideas. If I knew for 100 percent that the previous person who had my position did indeed save all the files and the files that are on the backup server are right, I would do the factory reset on the HMI and just reload things. But then again if I do the factory reload and the project on the backup server is wrong or I still am not able to connect, then I am really up the creek without a paddle.

I dont have experience with this, but I am beginning to think that the MPI option is only available if a previous project is loaded on the panel AND in that project the IF1B port is used for an MPI connection to an S7 CPU. Without this the MPI option will not appear. So I guess the OP27 is not connected to an S7 CPU ?

That TRANSFER MODE is highligted is the typical that the panel displays when it waits for Protool or Prosave to download a project.

Maybe the solution is to migrate to a newer panel ?
What PLC is it connected to ?

edit: Typo corrected.

Last edited:
JesperMP I agree that it might be time to upgrade to a newer panel. Some of these older panels and such are a pain in the shorts at times. And the older software can sometimes be a hassle as well. Still though I would like to do as the company wants, to make sure we have proper backups of all projects.

Now you are right in that this screen is not connected to an S7, it is infact connected to an S5. Again an older product and it was not until I got to 7.23 that I have been finally able to connect to the PLC. A little archaic but in the end it was a success. Now just need to the panels and then all is well.

I do see prosave on the laptop so maybe I will fire that up and see what occurs, if that is able to connect but the protool is not then I know the problem is in protool.

You know with this older technology it would be so nice if I were able to use something like hyperterminal to just see if there is a good connection between the PC and the panel.

You know with this older technology it would be so nice if I were able to use something like hyperterminal to just see if there is a good connection between the PC and the panel.
I used to have a break-out box with LEDs for each of the 25 lines for a DSUB25. Ah such fond memories of soldering ones own cables.

JesperMP, in the windows system device manager it is labeled as com1 and when I use CSACPE or Mitsubishi I have it set as com1. So that hopefully means that a setting of com1 is indeed proper and that com1 is working as it should. Again this is a major assumption but it seems to be a good one.

Ned, if I power on the HMI with no PLC attached and hold the up arrow and ESC at same time the message that I wrote above is displayed.

If I let the HMI power up completely and then go to the systems menu, yes there are 4 options. They are ONLINE, OFFLINE, DOWNLOAD, and PASS THROUGH.

In the manual link that was mentioned above these indeed are the correct four options.

However when I choose DOWNLOAD it will display the exact same message as stated above. It never says DOWNLOAD it only has the TRANS MODE: message just like shown above and like I said the words trans mode are highlighted.

I know what you mean by saying you are running out of ideas. If I knew for 100 percent that the previous person who had my position did indeed save all the files and the files that are on the backup server are right, I would do the factory reset on the HMI and just reload things. But then again if I do the factory reload and the project on the backup server is wrong or I still am not able to connect, then I am really up the creek without a paddle.
If you manage to download, you will overwrite the program anyway!

I thought the download option was to receive the file from the panel. I know other companies that use download as the option to receive and upload is used to send the file.

Is it possible to attach to the panel and receive the data from the panel?

If not then is there a way to load the project on the laptop and do a compare to make sure the data in the panel is the same as on the PC?

The unit has to be in "Download Mode".
Once in "Download Mode" you should see the message :
"Connecting to the host"
Once data start to flow the "Connecting..." message will disappear.
This is what I remember for the TP070.
OP27 is an old beast but it may be very similar to this when it comes to establishing comms.

Siemens uses "download" for anything that goes from your PC to a PLC or HMI panel. "upload" for the other way.
I believe AB does the same for PLCs, dont remember about the panels.

You can upload an image file from the panel with Prosave (is installed together with Protool).
You can then download the project file to the panel, and see if it works OK. If not you can download the backup image back onto the panel.

Siemens uses "download" for anything that goes from your PC to a PLC or HMI panel. "upload" for the other way.
I believe AB does the same for PLCs, dont remember about the panels.

You can upload an image file from the panel with Prosave (is installed together with Protool).
You can then download the project file to the panel, and see if it works OK. If not you can download the backup image back onto the panel.

Just be aware that you cannot upload with prosave and then edit the same project with Protool!