PWM changing from PNP to NPN

mrtweaver

Ok i have a technical question for all the ladies and gents out there. I am currently frankensteining a machine.

Here is the problem, i have a Horner XLt105 which is capable of providing the stepper pulses i need. I have a Kollmorgen/Warner Electric/Superior Electric Stepper drive part number SS2000MD7.

The problem is the output of the Horner is 24vdc PNP out, and input of step to the stepper drive is 5 to 12 vdc NPN.

The current freq is around 1khz.

So I am asking for some help and guidance here on what would be the best way so as i can take the output of the horner and drive the input of the stepper?

An optocoupler is the best.

All you need is an optocoupler and a suitable resistor for 24V.

That will also make make +24V on the PNP side to 0V on the NPN side and provide optical isolation between the two. It also takes away the problem that the input only can handle 5V to 12V.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

PS. Search for DIN rail optocoupler if you want something you can easily mount in your cabinet. Otherwise it's easy to roll your own if you can handle a soldering iron.

Last edited: