SLC5/03 HSC and NIOV4

mrtweaver

So i wanted to throw this out there and see if indeed something like this would work. I have not done much with encoders and closed loop systems.

So here is the hardware: SLC5/03 CPU, 16pt input card, 16pt output card, 1746-hsce, 1746-NIOV4, Telemechanique servo drive and motor and a Maple screen.

this is kind of a frankenstein being parts from many vendors but i need to show that this can be accomplished before i can get a budget so using some old parts laying around.

So as you can imagine the servo drive will have a max speed of 3000 rpm and the encoder will be 720ppr or 1440 quadrature, the counts will be read by the HSCE, a commanded distance will be given and a commanded speed, the speed will be via the analog card.

So can the HSCE be used in this type of format for reading in the encoder output from the servo drive?

What are some conditions and such i should be made aware of if any?

Has anyone on here done such a thing as this?

Does it sound feasably possible? Or should i look at other hardware that would be better for this type of application?

Just curious and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks and have a great day and a wonderful Memorial Day