Repairing a Panal View 550 "foggy" screen &

ETCO

We have several Panal View 550s and the screens are getting very foggy and hard to read from glare from the shop lights. Is there a way to repair these screens?

Also some of the F#s are getting worn to the point of not being able to read the numbers. Is there a way to fix this problem also?

depending on what series of 550 panelview you have there is a seperate LCD module seperated by fibre optics to send the backlight up you should be able to get the seperate components ie lens cover from your AB dealership page 1-40 of the standard panelview operating manual has some of the replacement part numbers for the backlight

Last edited:
The Standard PanelView terminals, including the 550, have a bezel and screen that are bonded together. It makes them nearly impervious to delamination or leaking, but it also means you can't take off the top layer and replace it.

The function key labels are actually on a strip of plastic and can be reprinted or customized, but your problem is that the clear plastic above them has become abraded and opaque.

The only method I've found to rehabilitate scratched plastic like the polycarbonate film used on the PanelViews is to get some polishing compound intended for plastic windows (like convertible tops) and apply with generous amounts of elbow grease.

You could send a terminal in for repair, and Rockwell would replace the bezel and screen assembly and keep the logic boards. But it would cost quite a bit.

Try to buff out the scratches on this terminal and when it literally becomes unreadable replace it with one of the Series B PV550's, which have a nice blue/white LED backlight, and keep contact-paper screen protectors on it in the future.

Plastic Polish

I have had great success using plastic polish from Novus. Although I have never used it on a PanelView display, I have restored deep scratches and fog on the plastic display covers for video games and dome covered hockey games. See also attached link.

http://www.noscratch.com/novus/

I'll second the Novus recomendation. It is a staple for maintaining aircraft canopies, and I've also found it works well on motorcycle windshields and helmet visors.