Is it possible to send txt to cell phone?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application where I want to send text alarms from a PLC-5/40E to a cell phone. I plan on using the AB paging modem 9300-RAPMKIT http://www.rockwellautomation.com/services/rmd/rapmkit.html

I know this works with a pager, but never tried it with a cell phone. The cell phone is a SAMSUNG SCH-A630.

Has anyone tried this? Is it possible, or do I need to use some other type of modem?

I could always buy a pager as an alternative, but who wants to carry a pager and a cell phone.

Ken,

You can do this using the paging modem as long as your carrier has TAP modem capability. We did this when we had Nextel phones. Some carriers have local TAP modem numbers. Verizon has a toll-free TAP number but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm supposed to set one of these up on Monday.

Verizon has a toll-free TAP number but I haven't tried it out yet
Verizon is our carrier. Is there a web site with the number and/or documentation?

geniusintraining,
thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind as a fall back. I might move that up to the primary. Our in house phone system is digital, and adding a modem requires running in a new analog line. Your suggestion should work with a digital system. I'll have to check it a little closer on Monday.

Last edited:
Ken,

Just an FYI

I know you did not say anything about using RSView32 or even if you have it but I have sent text messages to cell phones [Nextel] using RSView32 Messenger and Outlook. It was easy to set-up and worked nice.

Bob O said:
Ken,

Just an FYI

I know you did not say anything about using RSView32 or even if you have it but I have sent text messages to cell phones [Nextel] using RSView32 Messenger and Outlook. It was easy to set-up and worked nice.

This system has iFix as the SCADA, and I might could use that, but don't want to depend on a Windows machine.

Ken Moore said:
Verizon is our carrier. Is there a web site with the number and/or documentation?

Don't think Verizon has this info on their site. I had to jump through hoops to get it, but I would be happy to send you a PM if you like.

If you want to do a quick test, use the phone to send a text message to an email address you have access to. The "from" field should be, as stated above: <your phone number>@vtext.com.

geniusintraining said:
Ken,

If it will not do what you want, check with these guys, I have 2 and they work good, its just a contact closer that I have tied into the PLC, then it dials out what ever number I have programmed
http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=164

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up purchasing one of the units that git linked to. I have enough spare discrete I/O to wire up all eight inputs, and according to the vendor, this unit will work with a digital phone system, so that saves the cost of a dedicted analog phone line.

It will take a week or two to get everything ordered and installed, I'll let you know how things turn out.