more motor ignorance

katratzi

I have come across a six lead motor that has been rewound, and
is missing the U1,V1,W1, U2,V2,W2 identifying tags on its leads.
Is there any way to use a meter and figure this out?

I doubt that page will help

I do not have any IEC internal connection for motors, will remedy that real soon.

IEC is a little different then NEMA, personally I would send the motor out to the shop and have them label the wiring. When they are labeled the incoming power is suppose to always connect to U1, V1, W1 so not sure what would happen if U1 and U2 were swapped? May not matter but it is not a situation I have run into, did have to re-wire a genset once that had like 20 leads but they combined for a 3Ph 230vac WYE connection.

Last edited:
It seems the link provided refers to 9 and 12 lead motors.
What I have is a six lead motor with wires that were originally
attached to terminals u1 v1 w1 and u2 v2 w2. This is for running
in a wye low rpm or delta high rpm configuration, i think.
The motor seems to have been rewound, and the wires relabeled
1,2,3,4,5, and 6. The original connection diagram shows connecting W2, U2, and V2 together along with connecting L1 to U1, L2 to V1 and L3 to W1 for the wye connection.

For delta, it says connect L1 to U1 and W2, L2 to V1 and U2, L3 to W1 and V2.

My problem is that I don't know which wires are the u,v,w, 1 and 2.

I have read resistance across the wires and here are the results :

WIRE NUMBERS RESISTANCE

1-2 infinite
2-3 infinite
1-3 infinite
4-5 infinite
5-6 infinite
4-6 infinite

1-6 infinite
2-6 infinite
3-6 2.1 ohms

1-4 2.3 ohms
2-4 infinite
3-4 infinite

1-5 infinite
2-5 2.3 ohms
3-5 infinite

does this help?
am i missing something?
i do not know much about the internal construction or wiring
of motors.

It seems to me that 1=U1, 2=V1, 3=W1
4=U2, 5=V2, 6=W2

U1 & U2 Should have continuity
V1 & V2 " "
W1 & W2 " "

Milldrone- I believe your link will be very helpful

I strongly suspect that the wires that are labeled 1
through 6 DO correspond to u1,v1,w1,u2,v2,w2 respectively as
Ron and Favian think. We will find out tomorrow!

Thanks to all

Favian is absolubtely right. You have 3 coil windings U. V. W. 1-4 is one 2-5 is another and 3-6 the third. Hence you may label 1=U1 4-U2. 2=V1 5=V2. 3=W1 6=W2.

Badger is half right. You have 3 coil windings U. V. W. 1-4 is one 2-5 is another and 3-6 the third. Hence you may label 1=U1 4-U2. 2=V1 5=V2. 3=W1 6=W2. But if is, for example , label 1 = U2 and label 4=U1 your motor with Badger’s scheme will doesn’t work good and it vill burn . You have to use badger’s scheme for motor and connect with small voltage.If you have courant unbalance you must combine label 1 and 4 and shack again .If unbalance steel exist you change label 2 and 5 . If unbalance steel exist you change label 3 and 6 .Good luck !!

Like I said, all that does not really matter. IN the US the method for motor windings etc. is based on NEMA, where other parts of the world it is IEC.

In the original post he stated the leads were not labeled.
I have come across a six lead motor that has been rewound, and is missing the U1,V1,W1, U2,V2,W2 identifying tags on its leads. Is there any way to use a meter and figure this out?

In his next post he stated:
What I have is a six lead motor with wires that were originally attached to terminals u1 v1 w1 and u2 v2 w2. This is for running in a wye low rpm or delta high rpm configuration, i think. The motor seems to have been rewound, and the wires relabeled 1,2,3,4,5, and 6.

If he had stated that in the beginning we would have known it was rewound to NEMA specifications, more then likely in a US shop which would number it that way.

That said I have on the link I posted the connections for wiring 6, 9, and 12 lead motors IEC and NEMA: http://www.patchn.com/motor_connections.htm

They should correspond as you said with only rotation being an issue, sometimes incoming leads are not labeled or labeled wrong so its a 50/50 shot if rotation is correct the first time.

It seems the link provided refers to 9 and 12 lead motors.
What I have is a six lead motor with wires that were originally
attached to terminals u1 v1 w1 and u2 v2 w2. This is for running
in a wye low rpm or delta high rpm configuration, i think.
The motor seems to have been rewound, and the wires relabeled
1,2,3,4,5, and 6. The original connection diagram shows connecting W2, U2, and V2 together along with connecting L1 to U1, L2 to V1 and L3 to W1 for the wye connection.

For delta, it says connect L1 to U1 and W2, L2 to V1 and U2, L3 to W1 and V2.
If the motor is single speed it is a wye start and delta run motor.
To start a line would hook to 1-2-3 tie 456 together. For run a line would hook to 1 & 6 line to 2 & 4 line to 3 & 5 this would be the delta connection. If you want to start it across the line hook it delta. A delta connection is where the begining of A phase hooks to the end of C phase, the begining of B phase hooks to the end of A phase and the begining of C phase hooks to the end of B phase. An easy way to remember this is put down A-B-C and spell cab.
A & C1
B & A1
C & B1
Where A phase comes out on A1 B phase comes out on B1 and C phase comes out on C1.
A phase = 1 comes out on 4 B phase 2 comes out on 5 C phase 3 comes out on 6. This works on transformer, heating elements or motors.
On a wye connection the end of the phases tie together.