OP27 Protool

mrtweaver

I have been trying to get connected to a Siemens OP27 screen. On power up I use the ESC and UP arrow. Top of screen says TRANS MODE: Press ESC for load mode. So far I am figuring I have done things correct because this is the information that I have found using Google.

Now on laptop I bring up Protool/CS 6.0 with SP3. I go in and check the settings for com port says com 1 19200. All seems to be ok. But when I click on the connect, it take only about 2 seconds and comes back with error message that I should check my cables, my settings, etc...

As far as I know all my hardware is set properly and the cabling pin out I found seems to be the same as what I have.

15 pin 9 pin
3 3
4 2
5 8
10 7
15 5

So did I miss a step somewhere or what am I not in the transfer mode of the OP27 or what?

Thanks for any and all assistance. Have a great day.

Well so far no luck. I did go to the link supplied by JERA I followed all advice there. The only thing that appeared that could be wrong was the CTS/RTS signals. If I followed the pinout I supplied here, which I found on the internet, it has the CTS from screen to CTS of laptop and the RTS from screen to RTS of laptop. SO I did try changing those so that the RTS of one device went to the CTS of the other device. Still did not allow communication.

I also tried both methods of going into the running program and selecting the download option from the menu. And I tried the one where you press ESC and UP arrow while booting. Both had same results of displaying the TRANS MODE: message.

As to JesperMP post, on this particular hard drive I do not have any Allen Bradley software. So there is no RS LINX. Which there was then maybe that would have solved the problem.

On a side note this laptop has Win XP pro, and the only software on the drive right now is S5 V7.23, Mitsubishi 8.86, and CSCAPE 9.1. Since all of these use the serial port I did try the Mitsubishi and the CSCAPE and both of them connected to their respective PLC's.

So that tells me that either my cable is bad or there is some configuration step I am missing.

Any and all other ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am at home (19.48 in the UK) so cannot check the pinout for you BUT be aware there are two ports on the OP27 and you may be plugged into the wrong one!

From memory, they might be labelled "Printer" and "Config" but I cannot check!

The only other thing I remember, the OP has to be "Offline" to transfer.Also, I think some of my pins are linked.

If you dont gat any joy I will look tomorrow. (PM me if no good) Ned

Ned, Thank you for your reply and I will gladly look forward to your posting tomorrow.

You are right that there are two ports on the device that are 15 pin, one is labeled config/printer the other is labeled plc. I have tried plugging the cable into both of these. And neither one causes communications to occur.

And if the OP27 is in download mode or as is shown on my display, TRANS MODE, then should it not be offline already?

My lead is nothing like yours, but it is one I made (Copied somebody elses!) and I know works.
15 pin 9 pin

On the 9 pin LINK 1+4+6
Also on the 9 pin LINK 7+8

let me know how you get on.

Copied from an old thread:

The cable type # is: 6XV1440-2KH32
On the 15-pin OP plug is noted: "TD/OP V.24". Insert in IF2 port on the OP.
On the 9-pin PC plug is noted: "TI505/PC V.24". Insert in serial port on the PC.

Cable pin-out description:

Code:
OP plug:            PC plug:
15-pin male         9-pin female
pin 1 shield ------ pin 1 shield
pin 3 RxD    ------ pin 3 TxD
pin 4 TxD    ------ pin 2 RxD
pin 12 Gnd   ------ pin 5 Gnd
                    pin 1-6-4 jumper
                    pin 7-8 jumper
I think that only the three wires TxD, RxD and Gnd are really important. It will work even without the jumpers.

I must be doing something wrong. This morning I made up one cable, the cable I did have which is a factory cable does not have the pins jumpered together. So I made a cable with the pins jumped together.

I have tried both cables and neither one will establish communication with the screen.

Is there some settings somewhere that I have to change for baud rate and parity and things of that nature?

The only settings I see in protool gives me choice of com port and speed, but nothing about parity or anything like that.

I know in my XP system screen I can see the com port and it is set at 19200, 8, N, 1.

I did try changing the baud rate on the software, went from 9600 setting all the way through 56K setting.

All of them came up with same error message, check cables, system setting, com settings, etc... Can not establish connection.

I did try a loop back plug to make sure the com port was working properly. And I did try the other software on the laptop.

So either the cable is wrong, which I highly doubt because two poster have said same wiring, or there is something set wrong in my protool, or the previous employee did something to the screens to disable the programming port.

And I did try this on a OP25 screen and I get the same problem, no connection.

Oh well will continue trying, my motto is never give up until you have completely exhausted everything.

Big thanks to all posters who have posted so far and for all the assistance given so far.

JesperMP Here is what cables I have.

First cable is a factory cable and has the following pinouts

15 9
2 ---- 4
3 ---- 3
5 ---- 12
no other connections are made between any pins

Second cable is one I made the other day where I connected the CTS and RTS
15 9
4 --- 2
3 --- 3
15 --- 5
10 --- 7
5 --- 8
This one I have been told is wrong and will not work.

Third cable is one that I made according to the posting made here.
15 9
4 --- 2
3 --- 3
12 --- 5
on the 9 pin side I have 1, 4, 6 tied together and then I have 7 and 8 tied together.

According to all that has been posted here cables one or three should work to attach to the HMI. But they do not.

So if the cables are right, then the only two things left are the HMI and the laptop.

If no other setting such as parity or stop bits need to be modified on the laptop and the loop back plug as well as the other pieces of software that communicate via the serial port work, then that would seem to indicate that there is something with the HMI. But again not being to familiar with Siemens products it could be any number of things.

I had a quick look at one of my OP27's and you need to select "Serial download" on the HMI - there is a "MPI download" option as well.

The other thing is your laptop. Does it have a serial port or have you got a USB converter? My newer laptop calls the USB port "Com 4".

The 3rd cable is the right one. I am certain of this.
Be sure to plug it into IF2, not IF1A.
The OP27 must say "TRANSFER MODE".
That is all there is to it.

You can also try MPI download as Ned Flanders suggest. It is described in the manual chapter 14.2, but only if a project is already loaded onto the panel (? cryptic, but that is what it says).

Ned, as I have said I am really new at the Siemens, so with that being said, you say that there is a selections for type of download, serial or mpi. What is the secret key combination to get into this selection area?

As I have said the only thing that shows up on my display is as follows and it is hopefully displayed just as I am seeing when I type. But across the top of the screen is says:
=======================
TRANS MODE: Press ESC for Load Mode
or ESC and DEL to load from Flash
Press right arrow for more contrast
Press left arrow for less contrast
=================

That is all that is shown and when I press the arrows it certainly does change the contrast.
Now the words TRANS MODE are capital just as I typed here and they appear to be highlighted. But pressing Enter does nothing and I have tried all the function keys. SO I am hoping maybe there is some sort of key combination or something.

Thanks again Ned. Also thank you Jesper