S5 with CPU 115U 9430

mrtweaver

Ok i have found a version of S5 that will work with windows XP, my laptop has serial port on it, and the hardware is a Siemen 115U CPU 9430.

I was asked to see if changes can be made to the program. Now I do have a file that says it is for this machine, but i do not know if the previous person had made any changes and just not saved it. So this is a multi part question.

I know some PLC do not allow the program to be uploaded from the PLC to a PC. Is this one of those type of PLC?

If the answer above is you can upload from PLC to PC, what is the best way because this software is a bit unique.

Is there a way i can compare what is on the laptop to what is in the PLC? This way i can see if there is any changes? And again do i have to upload the program from the PLC to the PC for the comparison.

Sorry just have never really worked with S5 at all and as i said it is unique to say the least.

Get online first - and save the program as a project with a 'name of your choosing'. This will upload from the PLC to PC and save the project(Do this in case of mistakes - trust me I have nooo idea what I am doing).
You can then insert comments and compare offline which is the safest.

The software will complain if the programs are not equal and you will not be able to monitor the blocks. It will also tell you the mis compares. If not equal you then have the choice of uploading or downloading the block(Oops mistakes are one key press away here).

Overall, S5 being the predecessor of S7 ,is similar in some ways to S7.
I am use to the Dos S5 which I had running in window on my pc.

I would after saving the project proceed to go online and monitor each block. You can turn symbols on and off which makes things much easier.

I would connect to the PLC and do an upload from PLC to your computer and then i would do a compare with the uploaded copy and your saved version.

Then you will know for sure if its the same and can start modifying your saved copy.

Ok being as I have never used the software, is there a short video or a step by step guide on going online with the S5 software connected to the 115U?

I do know i have been able to connect the cable from the PC to the PLC and i was able to turn the run light on and off. but i did not want to go to much father than that because it seemed there was many options with which could cause problems.

Most of my experience has been with Telemechanique, Mitsubishi, Allen Bradley, and GE Fanuc