Anyone with experience of offshore installations?

Weo

And especially oil rig of different types?

I´m thinking of trying some new branch out, someone here that have worked with design of systems to rigs or maybe on site experience's that can give me some info?

So anyone with some worthful info are welcome to write a line, I´m interested in everything, how system works,plc/dcs/scada,ESD, .. anything!

Working with automation today, just wanna learn more about oil&gas offshore.

Cheers

what do you need to know?

I'm planning of changing branch and I'm curious of offshore oil&gas.
Like I wrote above .. interested in anything that´s involved in the control system in some way.
Are you working offshore?

I used to work offshore maintaining production safety systems, flow computers, and everything else. Now I work on land as an administrator.

The drilling side has instrumentation but not much in the way of electronic controls. some of the newer rigs probably have much more controls with electronic drillers or whatever they call them, but I never really worked on that side.

I mostly worked on the production side maintaining safety systems. the safety systems handle safety and or control functions on the well and all equipment needed to process the gas/fluids from the well. the systems can range from no electronics at all to full electronic controls. just depends on what the customer wants.

I have some experience. Have been involved in drilling rigs, drilling ships and other marine/offshore vessels.

You will often find the same parts, the same PLC's (Siemens and AB are very popular since they are marine approved).
But the use is slightly different, offshore rules often require redundancy in power supply etc. so everything is more complex. Dual CPUs and dual communication links are very common. IP-ratings are also more important.