Should I cut my teeth learning control logix via studio 5000 or learn rs 500 first

Kfak

I'm going to get my certificate in plc programing , I have the option to focus on studio 5000 and the control/ compact logix familys, or rs logix 500 and sth slc/ micro logix controllers , I have both programs on my computer and currently own a slc500, but I could get a control logix unit relatively cheap,
I'm currently employed as a electrician, I know my may around a plc ,vfd's and hmi, and can trouble shoot via rs logix, my goal is to get a 2 year degree in electronics with a focus on industrial plc , so that I can become a controls engineer in the next few years, I have designed and fabricated large machines in the past , and have a very good understanding of real life electrical , mechanical , and fluid motion equiptment but always paid someone else do do the plc work,
Also I'm thinking of going through the online school of george brown, its a canadian school so if any one has heard of this place or a better school let me know,

Lastly , the company I work for pays me $30.00hr
I'm hoping to be able to make around 37-40 a hour as a control engineer, is that realistic ? From what I've seen it is
Thanks for any advice and have a good day

Focus on Studio 5000, RSLogix 500 will only teach you habits that don't translate to Studio 5000. Primarily, RSLogix 500 provides memory structures that are already defined, which you conform too. Studio 5000 doesn't.

The biggest challenge people have moving into Studio 5000 from RSLogix 5/500 is figuring out how to create structure when there isn't any defined for you (along with learning all the other great features). It's a creative aspect that Studio 5000 provides that completely throw people, and result in garbage programs from those who can't make the transition.

We should do a salary survey on this website.

May already exist.

In Canada, the average I would guess around 60-100K, depends on industry, years of experience.

There is a wide pay range. I see jobs posted all the time at $20/hr in this area for "PLC Tech".

If he has this utterly antiquated software available, do you think it would be a good starting point to learn PLCs ??
Also, 6200 was for PLC-2 and PLC-5, not for SLC500. The DOS-based software for SLC500 was "APS".

6200 was a joke.

5000 runs for a month without a license.

OP - "but I could get a control logix unit relatively cheap, "

Are you just lookin for an argument this am?

I'd say go RS500 first because I think it's better to learn the ladder basics without giving you a bunch of extra bells and whistles. RS500 is very simple and you don't have to worry about the 150 different versions like RS5k.

500 is like the old beater you learn to drive stick on before you get something nice

If he has this utterly antiquated software available, do you think it would be a good starting point to learn PLCs ??
Also, 6200 was for PLC-2 and PLC-5, not for SLC500. The DOS-based software for SLC500 was "APS".

Yes, I do think 5000 is fine for learning.

The help is way better than 500 or 5, there are way more resources available for 5000 now.

The Colleges here are instructing with 5000 (North American Market).

If he goes to GB, he can get a student license of 5000.

He is not starting out with nothing, he has back ground.

I'd say go RS500 first because I think it's better to learn the ladder basics without giving you a bunch of extra bells and whistles. RS500 is very simple and you don't have to worry about the 150 different versions like RS5k.

500 is like the old beater you learn to drive stick on before you get something nice

I agree with this. RSLogix 500 will not overwhelm a new learner like RSLogix 5000 might. There are plenty of things to learn that translate directly to the newer software.

Another reason I agree is that in my industry we see a much higher percentage of systems with Micrologix and SLC controllers compared with L5K based controllers.

Since you only have one option, go for RS logix 5000. Learn the basics there, and you will understand 500 also, just ignore any of the extra things on there. If you learn 500, there will still be a learning curve for 5000. But if you learn 5000, there won't be a big learning curve once you get to 500.

I'm hoping to be able to make around 37-40 a hour as a control engineer, is that realistic ?
Which part of Ohio are you in? That rate could be realistic, although you may be expected to travel, work >40hrs/week, etc.

*just saw you mentioned 2 year degree. That may change things a bit, although I can't say for sure. If do your job well, the degree doesn't necessarily mean as much to a lot of companies.

Last edited:
I would honestly go with 5000 if I had to pick one. If you could do both, I would recommend doing 500 first, as it's a bit more structured, in that there are certain rules you have to adhere to when programming, while 5000 is much more flexible. I work with 5000 most of the time, and whenever I have to go back to 5 or 500, it can be a bit of a shock to revert back to the earlier programs.

Personally, I think 500 is a better place to start. If you understand the defined addressing of 500, you can quickly learn to ignore it when you get to 5000. But if you learn the free wheeling, almost anything goes tag system in 5000, then the rigid structure of 500 is going to come as a shock and be difficult to adjust to.

Bubba.

Second to willxfmr comments. I teach 3 day PLC classes at our Community College. I encourage students to take RS500 first to learn basic commands and concepts, and some structure that is imposed by the software. RS5000 definitely comes easier aft RS500. Any repetition doesn't hurt either.

RS500 only works for MicroLogix 1100/1400s and SLC500s, both of which are "mature" products, meaning they are on the way to being put out to pasture; not immediately, but eventually. If you start with 500, you will eventually have to learn 5000 anyway.