You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Unread August 13th, 2019, 02:53 PM   #1
joaco1993
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Programming Siemens

Hi everyone,

Im having a future project involving siemens PLCs.. dont know exactly which models, and also dont know if there is a difference in order to learn to program siemens plc..

Im proficient in rockwell.. Rslogix5, Rslogix500 and Rslogix5000, also honeywell and AutomationDirect.

How would you aproach this situation ?? anyone aware of courses online or where to gather information, etc..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Unread August 13th, 2019, 03:13 PM   #2
cardosocea
United Kingdom

There's a couple... for starters, you can download TIA Portal (and I think Step 7) without a license and try for 15 or 21 days unlike Rockwell.

In terms of hardware, I think it's similar, you add on the hardware that you are going to use to the project. Networking is easier in TIA Portal than step7.

In terms of programs, you have OB's that are the equivalent of tasks on Logix. If using TIA Portal, there is a description with the type of OB you can create. Usually most people just have the OB1, OB100 (warm start or restart), OB83 and OB121 (error OB's).

You then create your program with FB and FCs. FB's are compared to AOI's, although you can modify them online. FC's are similar to subroutines, but take in inputs and outputs and, in my opinion, are nicer to visualise.

There is no online editing... you change the block and you download it. This means you can download all your program or a single block with a simple modification to the controller.

You can use all languages without costing you an arm and a leg... and even better, in the same FB or FC you can mix languages in different rungs as you please.

There are more nice things about Siemens PLC's, but for starters this should be enough.

Also, there is a concept of DB's which makes data easier to organize than just have all your variables in a tag list like in Logix.
Edit: if you're doing process stuff, look into Siemens Open Library.
Unread August 13th, 2019, 03:43 PM   #3
JRW
United States

If your buying from a local distributor, they will help get you started.
Unread August 13th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #4
Rson
United States

Siemens sells some kits that come with a plc + software that is somewhat affordable.

I believe around $300-400 for some of the 1200 series processors with TIA portal.

Also, I think they have a simulator, but I haven't had time to look into it personally.

Be aware, there are rumors that a new version of TIA portal will be out by the new year, so I would keep a support contract through the new year if you buy a license right away.

Some of the Siemens structures are quite different from rockwell (data blocks vs ladder files, etc) but most of the ladder programming is similar.
Unread August 13th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #5
mister x
Canada

If you want online courses root around Udemy. If you're doing hmi this is a nice tutorial :

https://www.pccweb.com/2018/12/17/si...aining-series/

I've seen good Siemens produced videos on YouTube as well with helpful tips.
Unread August 14th, 2019, 02:35 AM   #6
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rson View Post
Also, I think they have a simulator, but I haven't had time to look into it personally.

Ups, forgot the simulator. A version of the simulator comes bundled with TIA Portal (it was a separate product in Step7). The simulator is almost as good as having a PLC on your bench.

You can create two instances of the simulator download one different program to each and see them communicate in simulation. That is a godsend for testing communications without hardware!!
Unread August 14th, 2019, 06:54 AM   #7
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaco1993 View Post
Im having a future project involving siemens PLCs.. dont know exactly which models, and also dont know if there is a difference in order to learn to program siemens plc..
Once you find out the platform we sell trainers that may work for you... I have had a lot of customers buy a trainer and rip them apart and install them on a machine after they learned the programming side
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Unread August 20th, 2019, 02:43 PM   #8
joaco1993
United States

Thanks all for answering,

I was looking for an answer more like this, for example in AB for programming the PLC:

PLC5-Rslogix5
SLCs,Micrologix(1000,1100,1400,etc)-Rslogix500
Contrologix,Compactlogix-Rslogix5000/Studio5000

Regarding the SCADA we may use FTView ME or SE for any of the PLCs.

I would like to have the same comparison with Siemens..

Like s7-400 with what software..
s7-1200 with what software ?

S7-400 is like a contrologix ?
s7-1200 is like a micrologix ?

And any other opinion, comparison would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited by joaco1993; August 20th, 2019 at 02:57 PM.
Unread August 20th, 2019, 03:42 PM   #9
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaco1993 View Post

I was looking for an answer more like this
Its too broad of an opinion and its just a opinion of the person using the PLC

You can search and find several threads on it and many different parts of the PLC, Size, Scan Speed, Memory, etc.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=92775
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=120869
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=54055

Many more
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Unread August 20th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #10
sigmadelta
Canada

Quote:
Like s7-400 with what software..
s7-1200 with what software ?
Don't leave S7-1500 off the list! I doubt you will be doing an S7-400 new project, unless you have a very specific reason to do so, or your boss or client told you to do so.

S7-400 Software: STEP 7 V5.6
S7-1200 Software: STEP 7 Basic or Professional V15.1
S7-1500 Software: STEP 7 Professional V15.1

Quote:
Regarding the SCADA we may use FTView ME or SE for any of the PLCs.
WinCC Basic/Comfort/Advanced V15.1
System Upgrades & Conversions
------------------------
Visit: contrologica.com
Email: info@contrologica.com
Unread August 20th, 2019, 05:02 PM   #11
joaco1993
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadelta View Post
Don't leave S7-1500 off the list! I doubt you will be doing an S7-400 new project, unless you have a very specific reason to do so, or your boss or client told you to do so.

S7-400 Software: STEP 7 V5.6
S7-1200 Software: STEP 7 Basic or Professional V15.1
S7-1500 Software: STEP 7 Professional V15.1

WinCC Basic/Comfort/Advanced V15.1
Great! why do you say that about the S7-400, isnt it like a contrologix ? I mean a very powerfull PLC for big applications??

I have been reading and the S7-400 would be like a contrologix, and a S7-1200 would be a more powerfull micrologix1400, but less than a compactlogix, something in between.

S7-1500 in which type of plc would it be ? for big medium or small applications ??

So basically if I learn to program in STEP 7 I could program practically any siemens PLC ?? or there are differences between the versions pro, basic, etc ?? Im asking this because i might do some courses and would like to know which ones would be the best in order to program the more siemens plc..

Thanks!
Unread August 20th, 2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Ken Moore
United States

S7-1500 is slowly replacing the S7-300's, I suspect once PCS7 moves from 400's to 1500's the 400's will go away too. I think that has been rolled back to 2025. I may be wrong, but with the licensing scheme of the S7-410 (current model), I doubt it will work with any system other than PCS7.

The S7-1500's are fast, have a much faster back plane, and support Profinet remote IO.
Future development will focus on the 1500 platform. The S7-1200 now has a fail safe model and is gaining a customer base for machine safety.
Unread August 21st, 2019, 01:36 AM   #13
Rob...
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moore View Post
S7-1500 is slowly replacing the S7-300's, I suspect once PCS7 moves from 400's to 1500's the 400's will go away too. I think that has been rolled back to 2025. I may be wrong, but with the licensing scheme of the S7-410 (current model), I doubt it will work with any system other than PCS7.

The S7-1500's are fast, have a much faster back plane, and support Profinet remote IO.
Future development will focus on the 1500 platform. The S7-1200 now has a fail safe model and is gaining a customer base for machine safety.
S7-1500 is designed to replace the 400, however they still haven't cracked redundancy with them, hence the reason the 400 is still around.

The s7-1200 and ET200 are replacing the S7-300.

Or that's how our rep explained it when they were first released.
Unread August 21st, 2019, 03:01 AM   #14
sigmadelta
Canada

Quote:
S7-1500 is designed to replace the 400, however they still haven't cracked redundancy with them, hence the reason the 400 is still around.
S7-1500R - Redundant:

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/programm...dant-cpus.aspx

S7-1500H - High Availability:

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/programm...able-cpus.aspx
System Upgrades & Conversions
------------------------
Visit: contrologica.com
Email: info@contrologica.com
Unread August 21st, 2019, 03:06 AM   #15
Rob...
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadelta View Post
When were these released?

WE tend to use microbox's for larger projects, so I'm a little out of touch with the 1500 range.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum