SCADA System Security...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
There was an excellent documentary on PBS's "Frontline" yesterday about cyber terrorism. Much of the show talked about the vulnerability of SCADA systems, and one quote struck me as being very "on-topic" around here based on some recent threads:

"Penetrating a SCADA system that's running a Microsoft operating system takes less than two minutes"

HERE'S a link to the show if anyone's interested (It can be viewed online as well). I especially liked the interview with Joseph Weiss. Well worth reading.

beerchug

-Eric

An interesting read and food for thought.

Note to self, never post when under the influence of alcohol, I thought I was posting to another site that had nothing to do with PLC's.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

not only SCADA systems running on Windows are vulnerable, all applications directly coupled to internet are! That's why I don't want to use telebanking with my bank.

I always tell my trainees to use dial-back on an private (or even hired) telephone line. If you need access to the SCADA system, call it up. The system detects who you are and disconnects. Consecutively the systems calls you back and you can get on with whatever you need to do.

This method is safer because even if someone get's his/her hands on your login information, they can't use it until they use your phone to call in or they have the ability to redirect your calls to their connection. Secondly it's cheaper for you: the company has to pay for the time you are fiddling with the system. You only pay for the initial, very short, call to signal you want access.

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere