Test equipment

ranjana

I have a project in hand to build a test equipment for air conditioner manufacturer.

First test is conducted at station no.1 -insulation test with Hi-pot meter.
When the new A/C unit reaches station no.1. the operator at station no.1 will read the bar code printed on the compressor. the bar code is a identifier for this A/C unit. Now the bar code no. should be read by the PLC and it should store this no. and all the below test should be registered under this code no. only.

1.Test voltage in KV
2.Leakage current in mA
3.test time
Result : pass / fail after test time.

when the A/C pass the insulation test it would move for other tests.

Finally when the same A/C unit arrive station no.2 the opertor at station no.2 will read the code through another bar code reader.
Once the bar code is read the PLC should provide all the test values of this unit from station no.1.

at station no. 2 operator will read the below test values
1. Suction temperature
2. Discharge temperature
3. Fan Speed
4. power consumed
5. present supply voltage
6. current

now he will vary the voltage by +/- 20% of the nominal supply voltage and again he will check for above 6 parameters.

All these parameters should be stored under the same bar code and a report should be generated. the report will be printed and pasted on the A/C unit. Customer is planning to use VB with crystal report to do this job. so i will just provide him the values through RSlinx OEM.

So my problem starts with the bar code reader.I have used Fixed mount bar code reader in one of my previous application. That is from Microscan but in that i took only contact o/p to stop the conveyor when the product read is of different code.

But in this application customer wants only hand held bar code reader for both the station and also i have to read the no.
Now i have to get the code from both of these hand held scanners to my PLC. I would be using a PLC from AB.

Can you please give me suggetion on the type of hand held scanner(bar code reader) and the manufacturer for this application.

Your suggestion on the above will be highly helpfull.
Many thanks