OT: Analog Hydraulic Pressure Control

Aabeck

I am working on a control for a press (the riggers dropped the control panel off a truck) that was all manual control. I have been able to get everything in place but am in need of an analog controlled hydraulic pressure regulator/diverter for the PLC control.

I have searched and found small hydraulic ones, but need one rated for up to 10,000 PSI (690 BAR), and the highest I have been able to find was 4,800 PSI (330 BAR).

Pilot valve

I am working on a control for a press (the riggers dropped the control panel off a truck) that was all manual control. I have been able to get everything in place but am in need of an analog controlled hydraulic pressure regulator/diverter for the PLC control.

I have searched and found small hydraulic ones, but need one rated for up to 10,000 PSI (690 BAR), and the highest I have been able to find was 4,800 PSI (330 BAR).

The systems I have seen at that PSI, were small analog controlled valve controlling the pilot on a larger valve.

Unless you are only trying to do the crudest of pressure force control a PLC will not work.
Neither will a pressure regulator.
A pressure regulator is relatively slow. It can't anticipate. It only regulates the pressure on one side of the piston.
What you really should be doing is controlling using force, not pressure.
Those pressure are very high.

We are using one from Bieri Hydraulics
http://www.bierihydraulics.com/components/valves/pressure-valves.html

We haven't started it up yet. It's rated to 700 bar 25 L/min. it is a pilot / main stage arrangement.

PDV700-6-P-700-25-24-V-B*00
It does not have onboard electronics so a driver board is needed. We have had good luck with ones from PWM Controls.

If you need more flow, Rexroth may have something but it's not going to be in a catalog. You will have to call them.

Hopefully your press included a pre-fill system so the high pressure lines and flows will be small.

If you are changing ANY 10,000 psi plumbing, make sure you know what you are doing. This is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced!!! At this pressure, we use Autoclave fittings and tubing or welded pipe. This requires special tools to do right and safely.

It is always a hazard but as pressures go up, so does the risk of hydraulic-injection injury: https://www.constructionequipment.com/injection. NEVER EVER EVER CHECK FOR A HYDRAULIC LEAK BY RUNNING YOUR HAND OVER A LINE, FITTING OR JOINT.

<disclaimer - I work for a distributor that sells Bieri/Hydac and Bosch Rexroth components>

nOrM,

Thanks - I'll check into those. It is a low flow press that build to recipe pressure and holds it at the setpoint for the process time. The original panel had a manual adjust regulator that had to be set and changed by hand every step of the recipe. This compresses and bonds laminated circuit boards so the recipe can be up to 12 steps and 4 hours long.

When it comes to installing the new control I will have a local hydraulics company do it. (Liability, CYA, etc.)