Studio 5000 download question

RBergmann

Haven't used Studio 5000 for a while. Here's my situation:

Studio 5000, 1756-L81E
Used Bootp to configure IP in processor want to now download program. Have been able to successfully ping the IP. Even after power recycle so I know it's good.

In Studio 5000, Controller Properties - Internet Protocol, I wanted to enter my network configuration but all the tab entries are greyed out. How do I correct to enter the IP and Subnet?

In general, the IP configuration for a ControlLogix system is stored in flash memory separate from the controller program.

You generally use RSLinx Classic to configure the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, host name, and disable BOOTP/DHCP.

This is different from the PLC-5E, SLC-5/05, and MicroLogix 1100/1400, all of which store their IP address as part of the user program.

I have not personally used the 1756-L8x controllers with their built-in Ethernet, so I'm not directly familiar with how they handle the IP configuration. But the CompactLogix 5370 family also have built-in Ethernet and they store the IP configuration separately from the user program, just like it was a physically separate module.

I believe in Studio 5000 with CLX controllers you can only change the Controller address and such when you are offline and then download.

The other option is the change it through RSLinx, which you can do with the ETH/ETHIP drivers if you were successful in assigning an IP address using BootP (which I find to be a **** shoot), or more simply with the USB driver if your controller has the USB port on the front. I recommend using the USB driver whenever you have the option, as it is plug and play. Plug in, RSLinx will see the device, and you right click on it and configure it to give it whatever IP address and subnet you want without losing comms.

Studio 5000, 1756-L81E
Used Bootp to configure IP in processor want to now download program. Have been able to successfully ping the IP. Even after power recycle so I know it's good.

In Studio 5000, Controller Properties - Internet Protocol, I wanted to enter my network configuration but all the tab entries are greyed out. How do I correct to enter the IP and Subnet?

You can't see the current state or change anything on the "Internet Protocol" tab until you are online with the controller.

If you've set an IP with bootP (which it sounds like you have) the next step will to be to go online with the controller. You can do that over ethernet with the IP you just assigned or with a USB cable. When you try to go online it will prompt you to update the firmware (assuming this is a new controller). After you do that you should be able to see your network status on the Internet protocol page. Since you set the IP with bootP and then disabled bootP, it should already be set to manual.

Note about downloading firmware over ethernet: I have learned from experience (later confirmed by an AB tech) that you should never do that through a switch. Always connect directly to either the PLC (if it has an integrated port) or an in rack ethernet card.

Note about downloading firmware over ethernet: I have learned from experience (later confirmed by an AB tech) that you should never do that through a switch. Always connect directly to either the PLC (if it has an integrated port) or an in rack ethernet card.

Why? Every machine we make is fitted with a switch and never had a problem. I wonder why he said this? I'm curious now.

Why? Every machine we make is fitted with a switch and never had a problem. I wonder why he said this? I'm curious now.

Every point where the message needs to be repeated is an opportunity to drop a packet, and when you're dealing with firmware it's always best to minimize these. You could do a hundred firmware updates through a switch and never have a problem, but it increases the chances that you will and the fallout of a bad firmware update can be severe.

You could do a hundred firmware updates through a switch and never have a problem, but it increases the chances that you will and the fallout of a bad firmware update can be severe.

Yup, I had one of those bad firmware updates and it bricked a L72 controller.

You can't see the current state or change anything on the "Internet Protocol" tab until you are online with the controller.

If you've set an IP with bootP (which it sounds like you have) the next step will to be to go online with the controller. You can do that over ethernet with the IP you just assigned or with a USB cable. When you try to go online it will prompt you to update the firmware (assuming this is a new controller). After you do that you should be able to see your network status on the Internet protocol page. Since you set the IP with bootP and then disabled bootP, it should already be set to manual.

Precisely the experience I had. Was not aware that the processor's scrolling text would tell me to update the firmware until I looked at it as this message was scrolling by. I'm good now.

Thanks, All ...