OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say the Dyson method makes sense. You get around specific manufacturing requirements by designing and making it using the processes you currently have in place.
Yeah, this makes a lot more sense then trying to get an automotive assembly plant trying to turn them out. Still I imagine it is quite a leap from vacuum cleaners to ventilators. I wish 'em luck.

I don't know how rest of the world is looking but there's still severe shortage of test here in the US. It's going to be key to defeat the outbreak but I just don't see a lot of efforts on that front.

Without tests we are almost blind.
You may laugh at me, but we should get to a point that every person tests itself at home every day. Without a vaccine in less than 1 year, no effective treatments, and the uncertainty that you get immunity after recovering, we are exposed to new waves of the virus.

Elcan, are you advocating that this testing be done until a vaccine is available? In a year? That means 120 trillion tests in the US alone; yes, with a T. Or are you just referring to the generally accepted 14-day incubation period? Because that is a mere 4.6 billion tests, with a B. And that testing cycle provides no guarantee that CoVid-19 will stay gone.

I think we can find other more scientifically and statistically directed ways to spend those resources. I must say that your method would definitely identify all cases though.

Keith

Yeah, this makes a lot more sense then trying to get an automotive assembly plant trying to turn them out. Still I imagine it is quite a leap from vacuum cleaners to ventilators. I wish 'em luck.
Isn't it our job to make it happen?
:ROFLMAO:

You may laugh at me, but we should get to a point that every person tests itself at home every day.
I agree we need more, test, track, and treat but yeah I'm sorry the notion that adults who were mostly asleep in high school biology would and could self administer a test for corona virus is laughable.

Just yesterday the state authorities here had to walk back the news of the first COVID-19 death in the state because the results were 'misread.'

Elcan, are you advocating that this testing be done until a vaccine is available? In a year? That means 120 trillion tests in the US alone; yes, with a T. Or are you just referring to the generally accepted 14-day incubation period? Because that is a mere 4.6 billion tests, with a B. And that testing cycle provides no guarantee that CoVid-19 will stay gone.

I think we can find other more scientifically and statistically directed ways to spend those resources. I must say that your method would definitely identify all cases though.

Keith
Yes, I said you would laugh at me...
However, if the tests as mass produced, I think that the cost of one test per person could outperform the cost in lives and the economy almost shut down.
What I am not sure about is how soon you test positive once you get infected. Or, how soon you can spread it once you get infected. My 24 hour window could be too wide.

I agree we need more, test, track, and treat but yeah I'm sorry the notion that adults who were mostly asleep in high school biology would and could self administer a test for corona virus is laughable.

Just yesterday the state authorities here had to walk back the news of the first COVID-19 death in the state because the results were 'misread.'

Again, I said you would laugh at me. :confused:
However, the test shouldn't be that hard to administer. Something like swapping and applying a reactive?

After hearing about the miracle cure Chloroquine being touted as pretty much a cure from the man in charge some genius in Arizona decided since it was an ingredient in his fish tank cleaner he should maybe try eating it with predictably news worthy results.

Things are going to get ugly folks and I'm a lot more worried about my friends south of the border than I am about the ones north of it for a variety of reasons and I've lived on both sides.

Well, we got first confirmed case at work,

Also, the in-law of a coworker is on the ventilator, right now.

Be safe. All the plants are now going on alternate crew schedule.

The curve is bending now with social isolation but we got a way to go.

The last I heard, although it was at least a week ago, was that the test looks for Corona virus anti-bodies, so the time of detection would be days after infection initial contagious stage, and testing becomes a tool more for feedback than for feed-forward control (my paraphrase there, but suitable to this congregation).

I just let my distributor know that if anyone in my area that makes what hospitals desperately need, that I am volunteering my time for any automation help I can give them.

Status
Not open for further replies.