Logix5000 to Studio 5000, will converting a program be as easy as I assume?

dev67

Hey everyone. I have a project coming up where some Logix 5000 version 16 programs are getting jammed into new processors that will be Studio 5000 version 24.

All I'll have to do is change processor type and double check memory usage right? Then download and done.

Sorry for the extremely newb-ish question, I googled this and only saw information on converting programs up from like logix500 and SLC5. So I assume there's really nothing to this conversion I'm looking at. But I'm pretty green so not positive.

Thanks,

🍻

It really is that simple.

Just to nitpick/clarify a little...

Logix PLC's from v1 up to v20 are programmed with RSLogix 5000.

After v20, Rockwell released a new software suite called Studio 5000, which has several components, e.g. Logix Designer, View Designer.

Logix PLC's from v21 and up are programmed with Logix Designer, which is part of the Studio 5000 suite of programs.

Logix Designer is just a re-named (and newer) version of RSLogix 5000. Aside from the extra features in the newer versions, they are identical software packages.

All you're actually doing is updating from v16 of RSLogix 5000 to v24. Along the way, you pick up a different name, but really it's just a different sticker on the box.

So, circling back to your original question: yes, it really is that easy (y)

In general, it's just that easy. When you open the project in Studio 5000 Logix Designer, it will ask what CPU you want to change to and what revision you want, and saves the old program with a suffix indicating the version it was originally.

The CPU change will be because in general v16 supported -L55 and -L6x controllers, while Studio 5000 over v21 will support only -L7x controllers.

There are some gotchas and differences with regard to execution speed and some motion axes, but the most common one is a change in the way the wall time clock is expressed when you read it with a GSV.

But in general if I have a simple ControlLogix v16 program and want to migrate to a v24 program, I just open it up, verify it, and load it into the controller.