OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta Computer Systems has been deemed to be an essential company so we are not shut down but business has slowed down and many of us are working from home. The engineers and regional sales managers have their own office so they can come to work and hide in their office if they want. We have a few people at work to handle tech support calls and repair boards or fill what ever orders we may get.

We are in relatively good shape. There will be a lot of carnage before we get into trouble but our concerns is the supply chain and whether our customers will be able to pay.

I am working from home since I am in a high risk group, old. I am working on a python to program that will size hydraulic cylinders, valves, HPUs and accumulators using the formulas I have written about in the Hydraulics & Pneumatics magazine.

BTW, the idea about the doors has been put into action.
Good idea.

So are they laid off or did the business close the doors for good?

I have had a couple orders now get postponed and I was told to hold the orders until they reopen the doors, they are being told they would reopen April 6th but I think that is wishful

They were laid off, I presume so they can claim unemployment benefits?

Not that clued up on the US system.

Yup, Indiana. Cant say who.

BTW, the idea about the doors has been put into action.
Good idea.

Indeed, we did the same thing last week. All regular door handles have been replaced with large sheet metal handles so we can all open the doors by hooking into them with our elbows. It is helpful that we have a big metal shop and plenty of materials and tools so it was easy to make for the guys in the workshop. Like you I am working from home now so cannot post a picture, and it may be a long while before I get back into the office. Also, we used to have our coffee and lunch breaks together, all in the canteen at the same time. That has now been changed: all breaks are in three shifts so there is never a large number of people in the canteen at any one time. Most of the people with desk jobs work from home, the few that are in the office do not go to the canteen for their breaks. They have coffee and lunch at their own desk. No desks are being shared.

What bug's me is you can't get tested for this virus.

I rarely get sick like other people, but if I do catch something, it's always really mild compared to others.

For the past couple weeks, I've had some nominal issues that I would classify as being due to a virus, but which one?

Some of these issues were really strange that I have never experienced before. They hit, hung around for a couple days, then gone... Like That!

Everything is clearing up really well now. Problem is, Is this related to this virus, and has there been an immunity developed?

I'll never know that, because I can't get tested.

Not just yet. I do think there will come a test that can find the antibodies in your blood that show you have been in contact with the virus. Such tests will be developed and I would expect them to become widely available. It is not sure yet if the presence of antibodies would give you long term immunity though. Science is still working on that one too.

They are hoping to get testing kits ASAP here in the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...home-testing-to-be-made-available-within-days
Mass testing is the only 'exit strategy' available at the moment. Any other route currently means many more months of lockdowns. There does seem to be significant mortality rates in the young without prior conditions, so the first plan of letting to the virus run its course whilst protecting the vulnerable won't work. Well, it will work, but with a lot of bereaved families.

There does seem to be significant mortality rates in the young without prior conditions, so the first plan of letting to the virus run its course whilst protecting the vulnerable won't work. Well, it will work, but with a lot of bereaved families.

Just curious. From all that I've read about this virus around the world it seems that the young were actually faring pretty well. Has that not been the case in the UK?

I think in general all over the world that younger people are not likely to succumb to fatalities, however, last I heard one 21 year old has died but it was not known if she had some underlying problem. The last I heard before that the youngest was 45 year old man but he did have an underlying problem.
I spent a month in Thailand and came back nearly 3 weeks ago, I have done the isolation bit with my wife (she had to, due to working in food production), but as I'm now retired, I am still isolating only going out for essential supplies and taking my wife to work (this is required as she is classed as an essential worker and she does not drive).

Statistics don't seem to be available to the public so all of this is filtered through what the news media tell us. I do trust some of the broadcast and newspaper press.

We have had children and babies that tested positive for the virus. The youngest death so far seems to have been a 19 year old lad, though there have been reports both ways on whether he had underlying conditions. A 21 year old girl died and generally reports say she was fit and well. Those in their 20s are getting ill and needing medical support in hospital. The mortality rate increases with age going up to about 10% for the over 80s. People seem to need medical support for longer than expected, so the requirement for ventilators is a lot higher than thought.

The government here have done a deal with private hospitals to bring their beds and ventilator equipment in to NHS use.

Various manufacturers are switching to making ventilators, Dyson of vacuum fame have received an order for 10,000.

The NHS have asked for volunteers to assist the service and so far over 1/2 million have offered their services and time.

Hey all. I haven't been here much in the past few years basically because I've had to get out of the industrial business for health reasons. Unfortunately, I need a new set of lungs and have moved closer to a transplant center and patiently waiting.

So at the ripe old age of 45 I have come to the conclusion that that COVID-19, should I get it, will be a death sentence. I'm pretty isolated anyway but now have left the house only once in the last 3 weeks (had to go to the bank).

I'm posting not for sympathy but because I stumbled upon a guy who put together a youtube video about building a ventilator with common industrial components. I haven't seen anything on here about it but thought it would be interesting for the experts to discuss. I can't speak much to the medical end of what he is proposing but his idea sounds pretty solid from an Engineering standpoint.

Warning, this guys language and overall demeanor is pretty crude. I find it hilarious but some may not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=819&v=N1OFMZDNKvU&feature=emb_logo

Originally posted by BryanG:

Various manufacturers are switching to making ventilators, Dyson of vacuum fame have received an order for 10,000.

I don't understand how this will help in the timeframe required. Granted, I'm not an expert on medial ventilators but I have to believe a good share of the components in a designed and certified ventilator are injection molded or thermoformed plastic. Both of those require dies. Where are those dies coming from? Most existing manufacturers won't have so much existing additional capacity that they would be able to supply parts to two or three times as many assemblers. I may want to manufacture items that will help and even have the workforce to do it. But without the required tooling it isn't that easy. I have the same feeling related to the Defense Production Act here in the US. It may be a good idea to invoke it and start production but we will truly be in world of hurt if conditions are this bad for so long that it actually makes a difference.

Originally posted by allscott:
... but because I stumbled upon a guy who put together a youtube video about building a ventilator with common industrial components.

This is what you get when you have a clever Canadian with too much time on his hands. Interesting thought, though.

Keith

I must say the Dyson method makes sense. You get around specific manufacturing requirements by designing and making it using the processes you currently have in place. Not a bad thought at all, assuming it works. The downfall being you really don't know if it will work since it is a new design.

Keith

I don't know how rest of the world is looking but there's still severe shortage of test here in the US. It's going to be key to defeat the outbreak but I just don't see a lot of efforts on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.