Beginning Omron CP1H CP1W

bernie_carlton

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Brand new to Omron

My supplier speced CP1H-XA490DT1-D CPU with 2 CP1W-20EDT1 expansion modules

Using CX One Lite I can't select the CP1W units as expansion. If I connect to the power up CPU with its expansion units attached and upload the CPU shows up fine but the expansion units don't appear. Any help?

Bernie,

I don't think expansion unit show up in the I/O table.

Can you force outputs on the expansion units?
First expansion units inputs will be 2.00 - 2.11
outputs 12.00 - 12.07

Second expansion unit inputs 3.00 - 3.11 outputs 13.00 - 13.07.

Hope this will help.

Thanks, just got in a call with Omron support and they verified about the Expansion I/O (though some consistency would be nice). Will probably be checking in both ways with other questions.

Berine, if you don't mind, why switching to Omron now?
I know you were AB then Automation Direct due to cost and now Omron?
Is this based solely on cost or are there other reasons to switch?

Bernie,
The CP1H supports the CP1W expansion units and it can also have up to two CJ1 special I/O modules (think analog, devicenet master, etc.). Those special I/O modules are the devices referred to in the I/O table.

I know that you will get good answers from Omron support, it just sometimes seems to take a while on hold. I have been working with Omron for over 20 years so will do what I can to answer your posts.

The CP1H and L do not show the expansion blocks. The CJ1/2 and CS series do. I do not know why Omron do this but it has always been that way with the shoebox types for some reason.
The great thing is that generally (some special functions for certain processors aside) the instruction set is exactly the same for all the PLCs. Same software as well.
The simulator works well and the simulator for the PLC will also work well with the simulator for the screens - that is a real bonus and the reason I do not use different brands of screens.

To bkottaras - simply a customer's spec on this machine only. No we are basically AB and AutomationDirect people (actually AutomationDirect if nothing else is specced.)

But hay, if I can't learn something new I must be dead - or the young'uns will trample over me to do it.

so connecting the cp1w-20edt1 to the cp1h-xa, you didn't have to configure anything it just works by those addressed?

Last edited:
To bkottaras - simply a customer's spec on this machine only. No we are basically AB and AutomationDirect people (actually AutomationDirect if nothing else is specced.)

But hay, if I can't learn something new I must be dead - or the young'uns will trample over me to do it.

Don't worry Bernie. Us youn ones have been doing Omron almost as long as you have been doing AB:D