powerflex 4 f5 fault

golfer66

I had 2 drives fault out on f5 tody on startup. I replaced them with 2 different drives and they started immediately. If I am having transient voltage problems, shouldn't these drives fault out as well? Could both drives be bad, or still good?

I had 2 drives fault out on f5 tody on startup. I replaced them with 2 different drives and they started immediately. If I am having transient voltage problems, shouldn't these drives fault out as well? Could both drives be bad, or still good?

Presuming that "startup" means energized but not running, you can do the following test.

Setup the displays on the "bad units and at least one "good" unit to show DC buss volts (I think it's parameter D005). Monitor the displays at the same time. If the "bad" units show a higher value, then you probably can not do anything else.

If you did the original "startup" when your facility was off line or during off peak hours then the utility may be to blame. If the voltage at your facility is a little high it may trip the drives on overvoltage. Sometimes the utility does some capacitor switching and this may be the culprit.

I had 4 F5 faults on a line. I went to D005
Good 648.9
Good 642.3
F005 647.2
F005 641.6
F005 643.8
F005 644.3
Now this is trying to put them into run (Not just enabled). There are about 16 drives total in this cabinet. Is there a place to set that?
George

I had 4 F5 faults on a line. I went to D005
Good 648.9
Good 642.3
F005 647.2
F005 641.6
F005 643.8
F005 644.3
Now this is trying to put them into run (Not just enabled). There are about 16 drives total in this cabinet. Is there a place to set that?
George
By my calcs that is about 458 VAC RMS inbound. This should not be an issue. Are there any powerfactor correction caps nearby? Any AC powered hoists with across the line starters? Regenerative drives with overhauling loads?

I do not believe there are any settings that you can change the trip point. However I have witnessed DB resistors take away just enough of the peak to make some setups reliable. The problem with using the resistors to remove the overvoltage is that they are not setup for continuous duty.