AB1336 drives PLC control vs Local

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
In preparing for PLC control of 6 AB1336 drives we have ( they only have been run locally) I have a setup on the bench. The drive does everything I want except remote reverse. I can local start /stop / control speed /tell it what direction to go in. But when I try to do the same thing remote, I can do it all except reverse. I can do reverse if I play with parameters 94, 242 & 243. But then I lose local control of forward /reverse. I am using 2-wire control. I have attached a file of the parameters as they are on the bench.
Thanks
George

Can you expand on what you mean by "local" and "remote" ?

Strictly speaking, "Local" control on a 1336 Plus II is when you apply voltage to the "Local Control" input, which forces the drive to ignore all other stop/start/direction/speed commands.

But many people consider "Local Control" to mean using the HIM module, or consider it to be when the Speed Reference Select is configured for their preferred input.

So what is "Local" and what is "Remote", to you ?

I know I've gotten myself confused by trying to mix 2-wire control on the TB3 terminals with a network module.

Ken,
By "Local", I mean the HMI that is mounted to the drive panel. They can start / stop/ forward / reverse. I added an LA6 board. On the bench, I'm using a loopy for my 4-20mA speed if I'm trying to simulate the PLC. I then use the transformer off of the 460VAC to get my 110VAC for control. Presently, I keep 110VAC on TB3 term 20 (Stop). Then I use a switch to simulate my run command from the PLC (I'll use a relay at that time). The switch puts 110VAC on TB3 terminals 19 & 28 at the same time to run forward. At this point I can do everything from the HIM module or I can control speed and start stop from my "PLC". I can play with Parameters 242-247 to get reverse from the "PLC", but then I loose the ability too change for/rev from the HIM.
Thanks
George

Okay, that sounds more like what I think of as "3-wire control", where you have a maintained "Not Stop" input and a momentary "Start" input.

I think what's going on is that the HIM module is asserting a direction command.

Try setting up the drive for one of the Input modes described as "Three Wire Control with Multi-Source Reversing"; an illustration of those options is on page 2-29 of the User Manual.

Another approach would be to assert the "Local Control" input when you turn on a direction input from the discrete I/O. It's called "Local" because of the location of the terminal blocks, rather than the location of the device that's sending the commands.

Regarding exact nomenclature, I had a discussion that went roughly like this yesterday.

Engineer 1: "Are those hinges mounted left and right, or fore and aft ?"

Engineer 2: "Um, they're left and right. When you're looking at it in this drawing".

Engineer 1: "I mean, are they left and right ? Which direction does it rotate ?"

Engineer 2: "Up and down. I mean, forward and backward".

Engineer 3, piping up: "They're transverse. It goes fore and aft"

Engineer 4, shaking her head: "No, that's port and starboard."

Engineer 3: "Port and starboard ? But we're ascending".

Engineer 4: "We always use the direction of travel opposite the engine thrust".

Engineer 1: "But this mechanism goes both up and down."

Last edited:
Ken,
My "Run" is maintained voltage to TB3 term 19 & TB3 term 28. When I remove voltage, it stops.
Thanks
George