opc issue

ygnm

ok once again i am here because i am beginning to fell a little stupid. actually a lot stupid. i am trying to set up my factorytalk view with the kepserver enterprise opc server and it keeps telling me "Cannot connect to OPC enumeration service on localhost. Ensure that all OPC servers are properly installed on that machine. (error=80040153)" i have gone through services and component services and everything else i can think ok. if anybody can offer any insight into wtf is going on i would sure appreciate it.

Did you add it as a trusted source?

At home now, but off the top of my head, right click on the task tray icon for kepserver, admin properties, 2nd tab in from left

Also allow ports used by OPC in firewall

Not sure why the link is not working. Here is the information posted on the site.

Try this:

1. Click on the Windows Start button and select "Run".
2. In the dialog box, type "DCOMCNFG" and press Enter. This launches the Microsoft Management Console titled "Component Services".
3. Drill down through Console Root-> Component Services and right-click on "My Computer". Select "Properties".
4. Click on the "Default COM Security" tab. Note that for XP Service Pack 2, this is labeled "COM Security".
NOTE: Be advised that changing the default DCOM permissions may have an adverse affects, since this changes the default behavior for ALL DCOM applications, not just certain ones.
5. In the "Default Access Permissions" section, click the "Edit Default" button.
6. If the group "Everyone" is not already selected, click the "Add" button, select "Everyone" and click "Add".
7. Click OK until you return to the "Component Services" screen.
8. Click the plus + sign next to "My Computer" and expand "DCOM Config".
9. Scroll through the list of applications until you find "OPCEnum", then right-click and select "Properties".
10. Go to the "Security" tab and see which radio button is selected - "Use default access permissions" or "Use custom access permissions".
11. If "Use custom access permissions" is selected, click the "Edit" button.
12. If the group "Everyone" is not already selected, click the "Add" button, select "Everyone" and click "Add".
13. Click OK until you have exited DCOMCNFG and reboot.

Regards,

Can you read data from the Kepserver using an OPC client? If the answer is no, probably the opcenum is not correctly registered on your system.

Rockwell talked me through it. i knew it would be something simple. just had to unregister then re register the service. working like a champ now

I just had to ring Rockwell myself to get this exact same issue sorted but didn't know how to de-register or re-register the service. For anyone else who runs into this problem the error code of 80040153 doesn't retrieve the solution in the Rockwell knowledgebase but it is under tech note 43914:

Open a Windows Command Prompt by going to Start-->Run and write cmd
Depending on your OS enter the following commands :

Windows XP Professional, Server 2003 and Windows 7 (32 bit) OS:

c:\windows\system32\opcenum /UnRegServer
c:\windows\system32\opcenum /RegServer
c:\windows\system32\opcenum /Service

Windows Windows 7 (64 bit) OS:

c:\windows\SysWOW64\opcenum /UnRegServer
c:\windows\SysWOW64\opcenum /RegServer
c:\windows\SysWOW64\opcenum /Service

Windows 2000 OS:

c:\winnt\system32\opcenum /UnRegServer