Omron C28K Battery Alarm - Reset Procedure

mfts

Hello PLCS.net:

I have encountered an Omron C28K that lost it's program due to battery failure. Luckily, I had a backup and was able to re-enter the program with a Pro15 console. I installed a new battery and the program is operating like before. However, I can't figure out how to clear the battery alarm flashing light on the C28K. I followed the Pro15 manual key sequence, but nothing seems to work. I have installed a new battery in a test C28K as well with the same results.

I read some notes on the web about original 3.6VDC batteries vs. aftermarket 3.3VDC batteries. Is this my problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

http://accautomation.ca/omron-c20k-c28k-c40k-c60k-troubleshooting/

Battery Low Flag - Bit 1808
After hitting the CLR MON CLR on the handheld unit the error message will be displayed. If you hit the CLR button and the error (flashing) light does not reset then you are probably correct. The full voltage is not being seen.
I would look for a battery that has the correct voltage.

If you want to continue using the lower voltage battery then a possible solution to this would be to inhibit the alarms through the dip switch settings.
2-8-4 Inhibit the ALARM indicator
"To inhibit the ALARM indicator when using EP-ROM set DIP SWITCH 5 to ON"
http://omronkft.hu/nostree/pdfs/plc/cxxk/w147e31_c20k_c28k_c40k_c60k_installation_guide.pdf
Note: No alarms will then be active.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

Thanks for the reply Garry.

The battery is actually a 3.6V type (sorry for the bad information). However, I am not detecting proper open circuit voltage. I'll follow up with more results later.