VFD Help

sharks

Hi all,
If I want to check the VFD that it's in working condition or not or I want to program the VFD. Is it possible to connect the VFD directly to the power without connecting an output device with the VFD. I am using Altivar 31 and LG SV-iC5 VFD's. I want to program both of the VFD's without connecting the output of the VFD's to the motor. While doing this will it cause some problem or damage the VFD or not?

Most VFDs you can even 'run' with no load connected, especially if running open loop V/Hz mode. Go ahead and program it. Some VFDs have an autotune feature that senses the motor winding characteristics so skip that part until you have the actual load connected.

Sensorless vector drives or Flux vector drives can not usually be programmed without a motor connected even if the drive stays in the idle mode. The drive senses the lack of a motor and continuously faults making it difficult if not impossible to program.

However, as mentioned above, as long as the drive is in open loop V/Hz or Scalar mode, it knows nothing and cares nothing about the motor and can be programmed and even put in the run mode without problem or damage.

I have been tempted to program a drive in open loop mode and the switch to vector control but this never works out very good. Most of the time the drive erases all of the application programming I've done and goes to default values when the mode is changed.

Actually, it probably should be that way to avoid big mistakes.

DickDV said:
Sensorless vector drives or Flux vector drives can not usually be programmed without a motor connected even if the drive stays in the idle mode.

Really? AB Powerflex and Siemens MM440's, both very popular Sensorless vector drives can be programmed all day long without motor connections. I'd be curious to know in particular models where you've encountered this problem.

Hi all,
Thanks for the information. Now I have connected a single phase motor with the VFD of LG i.e. SV-iC5. It has a single phase input and a three phase output. I took one phase of the output and the common and connect the motor with it. But till yet I didn't power the VFD. Now will you please tell me while doing this will it harm the VFD or motor, and second I did the wiring is it right and will it work or not.

Sharks you have 25 posts, 8 of them refer to wanting to run a single phase motor on a VFD, you have started 4 new posts on this subject.
You have been referred to nearly every post that I remember that tells you that it can not work.

Please keep us informed as to how much smoke it creates when you try it out.

My answer is do not try it just get the 3 phase motor that everyone has told you that you need.

thanks Gil47,
We can purchase a new VFD, and even in my proposal I suggest that we need three phase motor, but what should I do with the client. that's why i am asking this question again and again. that if there is a possibility let me know.

sharks said:
thanks Gil47,
We can purchase a new VFD, and even in my proposal I suggest that we need three phase motor, but what should I do with the client. that's why i am asking this question again and again. that if there is a possibility let me know.

THERE IS NO POSSIBILITY, AND I AM LETTING YOU KNOW.
THE WAY YOU HAVE YOUR VFD HOOKED UP WILL SURELY DESTROY THE MOTOR, & POSSIBLY THE DRIVE.

DON'T BE SO DAMNED STUPID.

sharks said:
thanks Gil47,

Tell your client that you will not try running a single phase motor on a VFD nor are you willing to try running a single phase motor in variable speed.

Tell him that if that is what he insists on to go find someone else to do it.

ALSO tell him you will be happy to set him up with a VFD and a 3 phase motor.

Dan Bentler