.apa not valid

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

Well, now it is my turn I guess,
Have seen this come up quite a few times, searched the forum tried lots of things but still cannot restore this file.
Makes no since.
I am backing up the file from the SCADA PC to a thumb drive using "Application Manager".

I then take thumb drive to my development laptop and try to restore it.
I get "not a valid .apa file"

I have tried using the advice in this link:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=92132

and have managed to get the file extracted and then put the folder in:
C > USERS > PUBLIC > PUBLIC DOCUMENTS > RSVIEW ENTERPRISE > SE > HMI PROJECTS

I am assuming this is where it needs to be placed as I see the rest of my applications that do work here.

I must be missing something as I cant get the application to restore or appear in my FT View Studio at all.

I made the application on this very laptop over a year ago and nothing has changed since then that I know of.
Using FTVS 6.10.00

Any direction you can give will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

BCS

Can anyone elaborate on this part.

"Now Drag and drop into Studio and recreate application manually. Should only take a few minutes." (See first print screen)

I must be slow because its been hours and still haven't gotten it to open yet.

Second print screen is side by side comparison of extracted files from version 12 .apa I am having trouble opening (one on left)

The one on the right is the version 11 file from the location I posted in my first post.

Thanks
BCS

SE Recreate.jpg SE_Extract.jpg

also check both versions of factory talk. HMI and your computer..

I created this (made revisions to existing application) on my laptop last year, many times.

I have checked Help > About FactoryTalk View Studio....and both are listed as 6.10.

Just doesn't make since, I have worked on this application many times in the past, but darned if I can restore it on my laptop now.

I can back it up on the SCADA PC, Rename It and then Restore it on that machine but it will not restore to my laptop for some reason. :unsure:

This work around is supposed to take care of miss matched versions if that was the case, at least from what was being said in the thread I linked to.

I must not be putting the files in the right place correctly or something.
I usually like a puzzle, but right now I am not thrilled with this one.

Sharpening up my stick and getting out my big rock, will see if I can get it to work. :)

If anyone's got any input I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
BCS

Sorry just trying to sort it out.
If you are the last to make changes, would it not still be selectible to open in development pc?
If you deleted application, did you "backup" from development pc first?
Has development pc had any updates?
I have several pc's in various update stages, could you email apa?
Have you triec uploading from dev pc?

Sorry just trying to get a grasp.

also the. sed file names look different. If you are trying to copy the right pictured files to overwrite the left files they might need to be named the same. just a thought

Don't be sorry, I appreciate any help I can get on this.

I am somewhat familiar with FTVS but not an expert by any means.

I wondered the same as to why I don't have revision #12 of my application on my laptop, I have rev 9, 10 and 11 but the one running on the SCADA PC is clearly marked as REV #12 and has my initials on it so I know that I did it.

Only thing I can think of is I made some changes out on the factory floor off of that machine last time so that revision never seen my laptop. (been over a year so cant remember)

I can work with revision 11 I guess but there seems to be a big difference between 11 and 12 so, I would rather not do it all over again if possible.

Cant you restore an .apa file on your computer that someone sends you that you have never had on your computer before?
I would think so.

I don't see any programs or automation other that what is on our vessels. (YET)
So I am limited to what is in front of me for experience.

Got me puzzled and I get a bit OCD when I cant figure something out, I don't want put it down till it is fixed.

I have no problem emailing it to you if you want to mess with it, PM me your email and I will send it to you.
It is too big to post even zipped but it is small enough for me to get it off the boat in an email. (we are limited to 5 MB going out).

Not trying to copy right over left.
Left side is extracted files from rev #12 .apa that I got off the SCADA PC.
Right side is actual rev 11 file that was already in my laptop at the location I posted in my first post.

Thanks for your replies.

BCS

Last edited:
Well either I am doing it wrong or there is something up with my laptop or software.

I backed up 3 different applications and could not restore any of them on my laptop.

Fall back 15 yard and punt for the night.
Will try and get the ball back and move it up field tomorrow.

BCS

????

I guess I am not understanding how this works then.

For instance the .apa file I just sent you via email has never been on your computer before.
But you would think that you could restore and open it right?

BCS

so far from the file I was able to restore to my 64bit machine and it converted to version8(cpr9 sr7) automatically. I was also able to restore to my 32bit machine v7 (cpr9 sr 6) and it converted it automatically.