S7-1200 flashing led's can't reset it can't connect

shamrockboi14

Hi Guys I have an s7-1200 just got it used...I am trying to connect to it directly with my pc. All the LED's are flashing. I am using STEP7 5.5 to connect. Using an ethernet cable the connection shows up in Windows and tests ok but I cannot connect to it or find the ip address. I was thinking of resetting it to factory defaults but not sure how to do that or if I can even do that? The LEDs are all flashing I tried inserting a non Siemens sd card into the slot to see if I could reset it but no luck...any help is appreciated. Txt

Step7 5.5 will not communicate with S7-1200. You need a version of TIA Portal.

The card has to be a Siemens one, if I'm not mistaken as the File System in it is specific to Siemens.

The Siemens SD is formated differently than the ones you get from a store.
"Any" SD won't work.
You'll need TIA as mentioned already.
For some of the earlier 1200's (older FW v1 and such) you may also need an older version of TIA (up to 14 now) as their firmware isn't supported in the newer version of TIA.

Thank You appreciate the help...I will move to TIA...any advice on the flashing LED's will I be able to reset the cpu once I move to TIA???

Just one more question...do I have to use Siemens software to configure the device or is there other software out there that will do it...someone told me Mango etc...? Thx in advance

Just one more question...do I have to use Siemens software to configure the device or is there other software out there that will do it...someone told me Mango etc...? Thx in advance

I've never heard of Mango in any relation to Siemens. Moral of the story is that yes, you need the Siemens software.

If you just need to do a reset, the Simatic Automation Tool may do the job. It's does certain service type functions: factory reset, backup, firmware update, program download. DIfferent features work with different PLCs at different FW revisions, so YMMV. Also, I don't recall it being super user friendly, the GUI isn't bad, but FW files need to be stored in a specific directory, there is no way to just go find them.
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/98161300.

You may need the full software, especially if you intend to do anything useful with the PLC. Downside is that it costs money. Upside is that there is a trial version! Its the full install, but with a license that only lasts for 21 days. You will need to create a login for the support site (no charge) and then pass an export check when you try to download the file (which is because of silly overbroad laws trying to keep encryption tools away from terrorists, i think) which took me a couple days.

See link here for most recent version:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109745153

You need to download DVD1 for Step 7 Basic, which means the .exe and .001/.002/.003. Once you download them all and run the exe it unzips the real installer.

As someone else said, if you have some really old firmware, you might need an older version of the software to do what you want. You'd probably have to contact Siemens directly for that.

Hi .. been there, done that.. with an old S7 1200 .. I never used an SD card .. you don't need one... but, you do need TIA V11 .. or, perhaps 12..
Up dating the firmware is expensive, you have to use the SD card for that.
Listen to mk42 ... :)

Hi .. been there, done that.. with an old S7 1200 .. I never used an SD card .. you don't need one... but, you do need TIA V11 .. or, perhaps 12..
Up dating the firmware is expensive, you have to use the SD card for that.
Listen to mk42 ... :)

The newer ones, thankfully, you can update the firmware over ethernet, don't NEED the card. We just don't know which ones he has.

So I downloaded and installed TIA V13 as suggested and it is up and running Thx. I configured the device in TIA and I setup a connection using my ethernet card on the PG/PC interface. I tried going online but it can't see the device. The PLC is still flashing xmas tree style and I cannot access it... do I need a cross over cable to connect the pc to plc? I tried both regular and cross over same result. Thx in advance.

Dont configure anything...

just click on "add new device"
then select 1200 at the bottom one unspecified 1200 CPU
select 6ES7 2xxxxxxxx
then OK
then click Detect Device and let it scan

You will see the MAC address of the device, ether cable should work, are you going into a router or switch?

no device found thru scanning...network adapter tests ok but no lights on for ethernet port on pc or on plc...there is no communication going on...tried wireshark to see if i could catch arp request but nothing going thru...

Are you sure you are using your actual NIC card and not your wireless card??
Under accessible nodes (left pane of TIA) see if your card is there and if it is select PN/IE.