What features have you "discovered" that you wish you had known long ago?

Geoff White

I recently "discovered" that the Animations dialog in FTV is modeless. You can leave it open and click on any other object to show its animation.

I am sure this is well known by many but I am sure there are many other similar features that are not fully appreciated.

What have you 'discovered' that is worthy of sharing?

Open question - not specific - learned a lot over 50 plus years in controls and automation.

In Excel you can insert the current date stored on the computer in a cell by pressing <ctrl> semicolon.

Best items for me have been those which make me more efficient.

1 - Excel + VBA (vlookup)
2 - More recently Python
3 - Understanding common algorithms and potential use in system (sorting/queuing)
4 - Object Oriented Programming (AOIs, UDTs, Templates..)

Ladder Logic: Online Editing
There was a time, where I did all of my Edits Offline, and then downloaded the changes.

Windows: Snipping Tool because sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words.

SnippingTool2.PNG

I found that Siemens PLCSim allows you to simulate communciations between two instances of the PLCSim if using the integrated network interface on a PLC. I get filled with joy until I realize that:

- The systems I have based on S7-300 communicate through a CP card.
- The systems I have that communicate through the integrated interface are based on TIA Portal.

That sure took the wind off my sails. :(

Boolean Algebra. I once reduce an entire 11x17 drawing of Function Blocks to like a few rungs of ladder.

In Studio5000 I'm always resizing the columns when looking at tags. I accidentally double clicked on the column placeholder or whatever you want to call it and it automatically resized to the longest item. Just stumbled on that 2 days ago. I will use it all the time now.

Most recently (on this forum) I learned about CTRL+K in RSLogix 500.

(Same as Menu: Windows, Arrange default, OK)

I didn't know about this.
That is handy.

Another one that I learned here a while back was the Rightclick ToggleBit
I used to go into the table and replace a zero with a 1 :oops:

Tag Substitution

Yes, and with grouped items in FT Studio ME. I only wish that Tag Substitution dialog box was modeless, like the animation one mentioned at the top. Or, at least give us a tool bar button.

Here's one that I will not take credit for, being told about it by a Rockwell person: when configuring IP addresses in RS-Linx classic for an Ethernet driver, you can type text after the IP address, and that text will show up in the RS-Who browser window after the IP address. This can be helpful for descriptive names on Ethernet modules providing access to processors in their respective chassis.

Funny they would to this, but then strip the zeros from an IP address entered like this: 192.168.001.005 -- which shows up as 192.168.1.5, with an undesirable sort order in RS-Who (at least for OCD-ish people).