Blue Screen when Removing USB - Serial adapter

Hello all,

recently bought a Keyspan Tripp Light 19HS USB to Serial adapter, due to the recommendations of a few people here on the forums. Its great, it works with everything I have connected to from a Total Flow, to SLC5/03 and Control Logix. My other prolific driver based adapter was hit or miss on some of these and never worked with at TF.

I love the application that allows me to view the driver events and setting the connector to another port number is super easy.

Issue that I am having is that 3 or 4 times now... but not every time, I get a BSOD when I disconnect the adapter from the PC. Usually I have disconnected the serial cable from the device, and i have closed out all applications. Soon as I pull the 19HS off my PC... boom, physical memory dump.

anyone have any thoughts on why this would be happening?

I have a 19HS.
All of the USB converters I've used will cause the computer to crash with the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) if it's pulled while communicating. Any laptop, Win7, ,8, 10.
Thank Microsoft when you get a chance.
Shouldn't happen if you're not communicating. Might happen if you have Real Player or Apple stuff. They like to seize control of every available port.

I have a 19HS.
All of the USB converters I've used will cause the computer to crash with the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) if it's pulled while communicating. Any laptop, Win7, ,8, 10.
Thank Microsoft when you get a chance.
Shouldn't happen if you're not communicating. Might happen if you have Real Player or Apple stuff. They like to seize control of every available port.

How do I stop it from communicating? this most recent time, I had gone offline with the PLC, closed out Logix and Linx, and the adapter was still showing the green "im doing something light" Do I have to go in Devmgmt and stop it? r

I havent had any issues with real player or apple, I dont use either. But I can tell you that the newest version of Factory Talk. The one with the extra CodeMeter software ****, 1) will start up with windows if you want it too or not, and will NEVER release your comm1 port. The whole reason I went to a serial adapter is because I am tired to fighting rockwell to use my comm 1 physical port for what I want to use it for.

I've never had a BSOD with my plccable.com adapter from.geniusintraining. I do however use it on virtual machines more than the host.
But it is the same chipset at the triplite. I wonder if it's maybe the driver.
I have a triplite as well so maybe I will start using it and see how it does.

I've never had a BSOD with my plccable.com adapter from.geniusintraining. I do however use it on virtual machines more than the host.
But it is the same chipset at the triplite. I wonder if it's maybe the driver.
I have a triplite as well so maybe I will start using it and see how it does.

My vote is for this, I would uninstall the currently installed driver in device manager and then install the driver from here: https://www.tripplite.com/support/usa19hs

Edit: I have one of these and have never had issues on Win 7 x64. I've always used the driver from the manufacturer site though.

Last edited:
3 or 4 times now... but not every time
This statement here would make me think it could be a hardware issue. Has it ever happened on any other device? If reinstalling the driver doesn't help you may have to shut down the computer then unplug the adapter.

Last edited:
NEVER (NEVER) had a BSOD with mine (and I use them all the time in the lab under "student" conditions) ...

the other day I noticed that installing the driver makes a little "Keyspan Serial Assistant" available ... there's some Properties, Port Mapping, Diagnostics, stuff in there ... maybe that would be helpful ...

good luck with it ...

Hello all,

recently bought a Keyspan Tripp Light 19HS USB to Serial adapter, due to the recommendations of a few people here on the forums. Its great, it works with everything I have connected to from a Total Flow, to SLC5/03 and Control Logix. My other prolific driver based adapter was hit or miss on some of these and never worked with at TF.

I love the application that allows me to view the driver events and setting the connector to another port number is super easy.

Issue that I am having is that 3 or 4 times now... but not every time, I get a BSOD when I disconnect the adapter from the PC. Usually I have disconnected the serial cable from the device, and i have closed out all applications. Soon as I pull the 19HS off my PC... boom, physical memory dump.

anyone have any thoughts on why this would be happening?

unrelated but I have found issues with the keyspan when using anything that uses dos software. lm90, older model flow automate, etc.

Can you post your memory dump files? I will take a look at them. 99% sure you are having a low level exception in the drivers that, for whatever reason, your kernel isn't able to handle. It gets scared and stops the OS to prevent hardware damage.

unrelated but I have found issues with the keyspan when using anything that uses dos software. lm90, older model flow automate, etc.

I never had trouble with the flow automates with my GIT one. Maybe I should play with the keyspan a bit more